Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A New Key West

Not really. Same old, same old and the same old blog in a new year.

I have noticed quite a few blogs that I have followed fallen by the wayside in the past year. if you check my list of motoblogs they are stalling. Possibly it has to do with the season, for winter is not riding season Up North. This time last year I tried a blogging experiment working with Chuck and pretty soon I knew it wasn't going to work. He started a new business and I felt burdened by solitude in a blog that was supposed to be joint effort. I went back to doing what I like, for myself. Jack Riepe calls this the Seinfeld of blogs, an ongoing story about nothing much, interspersed with pictures. So be it.

Key West has narrow streets, cluttered with bicycles and winter people. Key West streets are irrational, littered with silly signs and angry privacy signs, unlike most cities in this continent dedicated to newness. My blog is dedicated to noticing this sort of stuff.

I have almost three thousand essays in this blog and only a few of them lost their pictures in my recent picasa fiasco when I accidentally erased a collection of pictures. Enter a word in the search function and who knows what might appear. For me this blog is a diary as certain essays trigger certain memories, for everyone else these pictures are whatever you want. I do not anticipate any change over the course of the year.

I am not sure how I got this far, nor do I recall precisely how I decide what to write about. I saw yesterday's picture while my wife bought a bottle of champagne, she watched me take the picture and I knew she was wondering what I saw. I saw yesterday's postcard. How? I haven't a clue, it's just there in my head.

I see a couch in a trailer and the possibilities for Monty Python style comedy seem endless. I see an absurdly slow speed limit and I am reminded it is the rule now across Old Town. Why can't people pay attention when they drive?

I am not dedicated to selling Key West, I am not an arm of the Chamber of Commerce, I earn my living elsewhere. I dumped the stupid advertising on this page. I write about good and bad, I try to use common sense as my guide and though I am frequently impatient I hope I among cruel. I am unwilling to dumb my page down, I don't write to a third grade level, this isn't a newspaper. It's a slice of my very modest life.

A reader sends me notices from time to time that a blog called KEYWEST--THECONCHDIARY.COM has published a new page which happens infrequently but I read each one and wonder. It's generally a page of lists and rhetorical questions mocking victims frequently sourced in the newspaper. Aside from the unfortunate similarity between the title of the blogs, and mine has been around since June 2007, I find it odd that anyone purporting to live in Key West can't find anything original or kind to say about this extraordinary town. Read it and see for yourself.

I live a pretty regular life in a town where irregularity is the order of the day. I'm not a party goer and I dislike costumes and disguises. I have been accused of being gay from time to time, as though being gay is a bad thing. I can only say there is room in Key West and the Lower Keys for a few of us who are neither dipsomaniacs nor gay. Some of us just live here and of us all only a few have words and pictures on a web page. Doug Bennett comes to mind, This Week on the Island . Doug has something to say each week without fail and has at last decided to add pictures. Check it out. I have a long list of Keys related blogs on its own page. These are just the worst and the best.

I like living here on my terms and writing on my terms. I have that to look forward to in the new year, and so do you.

7 comments:

CSM Mac said...

Conchscooter> I lived (on a ship) in Key West for a year+ during 1957 and 1958 and been back a few times since. I love the place and try to visit as often as I can. Keep up your great blog. I read it every day and dream the dream because I see in your pics and words what Key West is all about.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Mac

Anonymous said...

There is only one Key West blog and that is yours! Captain Tony's daughter Toni kind of has a blog and it's nice to see what life is like for her and she writes a lot about her famous father.

Please keep taking the pictures. It offers an on going history of your great island.

I have been taking pictures of my favorite mountain Mount Delano south of Livingston for the past several years. Last year over half of it burned for the first time in over 200 years. It is still beautiful, but I'm glad I have the pictures to look back on, even the awful ones of it on fire, and I'll keep taking the pictures as the forest rebounds and regenerates.

Keep up the great blog!

Bob from Livingston Montana

Cindy said...

Thanks very much, and Happy New Year to you from the waters kitty corner of the Keys.

Trish Rozanski said...

I love seeing all your Key West pics!! And the pics of Cheyenne; that's one lucky dog to have such a caring owner! I also keep up with This week on the island blog. Met Doug one day while he was walking his dogs; I recognized him from recognizing Sassi! So glad i got to meet Sassi before she passed away. Maybe one day I'll get to meet Cheyenne!

Circle Blue said...

I was very glad when the experiment ran its course and you returned to your roots. I enjoy your blog and am glad to know you, too, are surprised the way you come up with things. I know I am, and glad you do.

Happy New Year!
~Keith

Conchscooter said...

some dude flagged me down near the courthouse a couple of weeks ago. He said he was from dc showing his mother around key west and he identified cheyenne (who took no notice). Doug is much more likely to be on the streets as he actually lives downtown.

Anonymous said...

Im based in London have worked as a secretary for more than 10 years and have an HND in Business Studies but am tired of admin work and office politics and would like to do something more creative- change careers.. . I write in my spare time and have attended an advanced writing course for the past 3 years and am writing a novel. I would like to see if I could train to teach creative writing in further education colleges etc or and English /English literature. I would also be grateful if I could get any info on what qualifications you need to be able to teach English as a first language and Basic literacy skills and ESOL..