Thursday, January 24, 2013

My Vespa At Last

It arrived yesterday and that was a saga which I shall write about later, but here it is all twelve horsepower of bubbling two stroke two hundred cc raw power. Actually I'm running in a new barrel and piston so I am supposed to take it easy for a while according to Dave at Green Tree Scooters in Mason City Iowa.

It still has the Iowa tag that Jeremy should have taken so I will have to mail it back to him but it's a messy job changing the license plate to my new Florida Antique for this 33 year old piece of motorized technology. I have put five kilometers on the metric speedometer (3 miles) on a quick ride round Ramrod Key keeping off the highway to avoid legal encounters. It spent six weeks getting here on the cheap slow delivery plan and when I finally got it to fire with some over the phone coaching from Iowa it blew blue smoke all over the place like a mosquito control Vespa.

I am starting to think I may enjoy this 1979 Vespa just a little bit, though how I rode one just like it cross country in 1981 I cannot for the life of me say, anymore. Technology has moved on a great deal in the intervening years compared to my wife's smooth four stroke 150cc Vespa built in distant 2004. I am guessing they should have similar performance, 60mph top speed and around here that's enough to keep up with highway traffic.

But if I want smooth modern technology I have my Bonneville which should be coming out its mechanical, valve adjustment coma sometime soon. Suddenly, an abundance of two wheeled technology in my life. Cool!

 

8 comments:

Garythetourist said...

Oh yea!! I'm happy for you.

RichardM said...

After the break in period, when is the first road trip? It looks great!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog right here! Also your site lots up fast! What host are you
using? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink for your host?

I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol
Feel free to visit my blog ... boligityrkia.net

bob skoot said...

Mr Conchscooter:

I can nearly smell your 2-stroke smoke from here

congrats on finally getting it

bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube

Circle Blue said...

Yay! Let the adventure begin!
~Keith

Anonymous said...

Congrats..may you ride many miles and make many memories. Enjoy. Scooter Vic

Orin said...

Congrats on your P200's arrival! I look forward to your, uh, Old-Skool scooter adventures.

__Orin
Scootin' Old Skool

Conchscooter said...

I am filled with trepidation but I hope this one will keep up with traffic. I love the on off switch for the lights, the no kill switch and the smell of rubber and gasoline particularly to old Skool Vespas.