Thursday, January 31, 2013

Night Watch

I took advantage of sleeping in town and walking Cheyenne before dawn to play with my phone camera. My pocket Canon takes pictures these days that my blogging applications for my iPad can't seem to digest, so I take my pictures with my phone and upload them to Picasa and from there these wretched iPad applications are happy to accept my pictures. I have no idea why this is but I have had to learn to adapt, and struggle to understand the camera in my Android phone. Sigh.

But I have to confess it's been interesting because I have learned that cellphone cameras have astonishing capabilities.

There are a huge number of effects one can induce at the push of a button, and some of those effects are bizarre and apparently without purpose. However I am learning to manipulate the camera and the desire to learn makes the instrument fascinating. The flash tends to be weak, with limited spread but it can be used to illuminate back lit subjects, just like a "real" camera.


Black and white is but a button away, as is sepia effect and Key West especially at night lends itself to these effects. The phone camera operates more like the human eye than any camera I have known. It has the ability to adapt astonishingly fast to an enormous amount of variety in the light and focal distances in all directions. This picture of Don's Place, a dive of a bar closed but with the televisions still flickering as the janitor prepared for a seven am opening. Yup you can sit at the bar and buy a beer at seven in the morning! I used to work with a woman who did just that. Key West was not good for her.

Crisp clear pictures as long as Cheyenne isn't tugging at the leash...

And the flurry of motion through the dark night captured as though by a proper camera.

So I have to ask myself: is this a proper camera?

I guess so. It has amazing depth of field, too much some times and I have trouble adapting the "close up" function to give pictures the depth of image that I want.

Yet I can take a picture of a For Rent signs with the greatest of ease and make the whole crazy message entirely legible in this format. $3000 a month pets considered, if you're a really good renter. For that price they should consider a menagerie.

Amd with the arrival of the dawn the funky all seeing eye of my telephone shows bright blues in the sky above and clarity of image in the world below. I have found contrast the hardest difficulty to overcome with this camera. A bright day plunges shadow into darkness and burns the sunlight or makes the darkness visible but the focus then overexposes the sunlight behind... I am coming to the conclusion some over or under exposure is inevitable in some pictures.

But learning to adapt to my telephone has been a wondrous journey, and now I hate to be without the Swiss Army Knife of the electronic world. I make calls, send texts, read websites, listen to distant radio stations carry a flashlight, navigate and take pictures.

And some come out quite nicely. What an electronic world we are privileged to live in. Imagined only in comic books when I was a boy.

 

3 comments:

Boating Community said...

DOG ON DUTY!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

The best camera in the world - is the one you have with you.

Conchscooter said...

I have a.ways tried to stick with portability as the cornerstone of my picture taking.
The convenience of the smart phone is astonishing. So you're right it IS the
best camera in the world!

Cheyenne's idea of duty is like that of the child who notes when the milk boiled
over and tells his mother when she gets back, without turning off the heat.