Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lovely Key West

These, on the other hand are pictures I took of Key West to show how we are weathering the Nemo Storm which has been smothering the northeast in snow. This is more my speed. 

I took this picture of the cracked house wondering how much one might pay in rent for a place like this, were it for rent at all. 

The Key West Youth Hostel on South Street. Much less expensive if you can sleep in a dorm even if you can find space there.




Cheyenne as usual not swimming, but cooling off.
This is a city of cars which may come as a surprise considering its geography. But if you look at old pictures of Key West you will always see, from the early 20th century, lots of cars parked on city streets. Like this, perhaps, only less so.


An abandoned house here below, "bank owned" I think they call them, or by that horrid euphemism REO, as though real estate could own itself.
Seen below Casa Marina, all washed out  in the distance by the powerful winter sun.
Lovely old Florida shutters to keep sunlight at bay.


Golly, just think, if we had seasons these leaves would be dead.
Reynolds School on the street by the same name.
This seems to be dentists' corner, my own is just up the street. However Claude Harris lacks this splendid old fashioned sign.

Hmm, Cheyenne seems to be wondering if Mommy's people are around...if she hadn't married me they would let her into the temple if she chose. But I am not one of the chosen people and she is thus polluted. Religion is weird. The Bishop of Monterey nearly refused to allow me to marry in the Roman church among whom I was born, because I was marrying a non believer. I'd have been fine getting spliced at city hall...damnation be damned!











3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heading to Key West soon...this snow is wearing me out!

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

"Damnation be damned" - reminds me of when my wife and I were marrying. The priest wanted us to take a 6 month class so we could reaffirm our faith and be sure we were ready. However he had a loop hole I will never forget. If she was "in a family way" the process could have been sped up within the next few weeks. I told him as much as like to be married in the next few weeks, I didn't feel comfortable lying to a priest. We got married in a park by a preacher that owned a pawn shop. Call us heathen.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir:

Thank God the practitioner in the next to last photo is a dentist. What if he were a proctologist? What would he hang out then? You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between his office and city hall.

Sincerely,
Ferris Gibbons
Noted Wag About Town