The former Strand movie theater, now a chain pharmacy is the rainbow lighting on Duval Street that marks the spot where Applerouth Lane, a one way street connects Duval to Whitehead Street.
Appelrouth Lane was previously known rather more prosaically as Smith Lane until 1981. The street got a new name in honor of a Key West merchant Billy Appelrouth. His real name was William Herman Appelrouth and he belonged to the Jewish community which has thrived in Key West from the city's inception. He lived from 1924 to 1978 and is buried in the Jewish cemetery which is part of the main city cemetery in the middle of town.