Friday, July 9, 2010

Edgefield South Carolina

The thing is, when you come across a statement like this you feel compelled to slow your headlong return to Key West and take a turn around the town square.It is a pretty little town along the Highway, all trees and brick and bright blue skies:It's on the way from here to there: It has some obsession with turkey.They say this is the capital of wild turkey and if you want to hunt these birds this is the place to be. The turkey shoppe sells turkey killing accessories. I hunted turkey in my own way. You can't turn around for turkey in Edgefield.
Isn't this the archetype of southern living, an era of solid construction in classical style.
A large prosperous main square.
A sense of history permeates these towns.
A touch of the modern invading the old.
Back on the highway nasty, brutish, neon reality takes back the view.It was a good vacation, ending with a great cross country ride, dog walks in Georgia's pine forests and southern meals and sunsets.Before the next full moon we three had a date in California.Cheyenne was blissfully ignorant but she had the prospect of another three weeks riding around the United States in the car. I hope she doesn't like the foggy cool California coast too much. The Keys will be as hot as ever when we get back at the end of July.

8 comments:

Chuck Pefley said...

Guess if you need a hook turkeys are kinda cool. I've seen frogs, rain barrels and pigs exploited this way, too. Hope you're enjoying your vacation!

gainesville365 said...

I'm all for a town that simultaneously celebrates daredevils and turkeys.

Please refrain from using the words "foggy" and "cool" together to describe the California coast. Merci en avance. These descriptors remind me that I used to be able to wear a ski jacket in the summer and that I also used to be able to exercise outdoors. "Gray" and "overcast" and "damp" make me feel as if I'm not missing anything. :-)

Conchscooter said...

I am in Santa Cruz and it is foogy and effing cold, thank you. 56 degrees this morning? I am thinking about socks under the crocs it's that bad.
cheyenne does not like the pacific ocean.actual waves came as a shock to her.
it os gray overcast and damp and everyone drives like its a race track out there.
chuck i am really enjoying this extended summer vacation!

byrdman6969 said...

edgefield ! the birth place of our great Strom Thurmond !hot- sunny ! and 101 degrees in Columbia,sc........BYRDMAN

Rob said...

Welcome to California! I will cater to gainesvilles' request and refer to our current weather situation as overcast and gray. I hate this weather. It's been drizzling in the mornings here in San Diego. I long for the scorching sun of the Keys, and the occasional afternoon shower to cool things down.

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Sir:

Your Irish accent must go over big with the local folks in these little Georgia enclaves.

While turkeys may be big in Foglesburg, or wherever the hell you were, the nation turns its collective eyes to Pennsylvania every winter to see if some rodent sees his shadow.

I am waiting to hear of your meeting with Bobskoot.

Fondest regards and all that...
Jack • reep • Toad
Twisted Roads

cpa3485 said...

Those downtown pictures look like almost any small town in Kansas.
I admit to being a bit confused about your travel plans.
Hmmmmm..
Jim

Conchscooter said...

I had no idea I had been to strom's birthplace... Jim we expect to be in Wichita perhaps for lunch the 21st. I myself am confused. Santa Cruz Saturday evening is gray overcast and 56 effing degrees.