Sunday, August 14, 2011

Back Country Boats

I look at boats out on the water and I am glad I have my own little skiff, not because buzzing about like a blue bottle is fun...






...but because arriving somewhere, away from here, can be very pleasant. Lots of people like to dive and kill fish. My wife and I just like to swim.






Some people are really serious about their fish chasing and they get Eiffel-like structures on their boats. They call them tuna towers because they were designed to enable fish killers to see into the deep waters where the pelagic beauties live. Now they use tuna towers anywhere.






The back country seems like a desert but there are boats everywhere, even on a weekday. Lots of people spend vacation time on the water, as they should.






Some people live on the water, a lifestyle I don't actually miss. These boats anchored north of Sugarloaf Marina are stored for free on the water and some people live on them.






A houseboat seems like it would be most comfortable if not the most seaworthy. Note the huge comfortable "dinghy" alongside. It's about as large as my skiff.






If I had to go back on the water I'd like something like this, below, preferably without plywood in the windows. I like the lines and the simplicity of life without rigging and sails. If I actually did have to go back to living aboard I'd rather be traveling than sitting in one place, which is bad for the boat and for the crew's morale.






"Men and ships rot in port," a quotation attributed to Admiral Nelson.




These days I enjoy living on land.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Chuck and the Pheebs said...

I like the idea of a motorsailer - perhaps a 36' Gulfstream with a Perkins diesel. Bigger than the average sailboat, but not as clunky as a trawler.

Fuel economy - if one is to travel, one must do so lightly and parsimoniously.

Unfortunately, a fresh breeze scares the snot out of my landlubbing wife, so this remains little more than a pleasant daydream.