Monday, November 28, 2011

Home

It is said the comedian W.C Fields had his epitaph in mind as he lay dying. "On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia" is the phrase attributed to him. I empathize except it's not the City of Brotherly Love that calls to me.


On the whole, I'd rather be in the Florida Keys. Western North Carolina was great fun but dead leaves, frost and gray skies don't hack it.


Sometimes gray skies are just fine, and 72 degrees was altogether finer than freezing.


However I was walking Cheyenne, fighting off flying biting gnats wearing a padded vest I had been given as a birthday present in Asheville. A vest? I was cold which can be explained.


These thick clouds to the west had dumped an unexpected rain shower on me in Big Coppitt on my way home. By the time I got the Bonneville under cover at a gas station I was quite damp even as I pulled my waterproofs out of the saddle bag. This weather is altogether too irrational for winter, season of steady sun, wind and predictable showers preceding obvious cold fronts. Winter is not the time of year for sudden showers out of nowhere.


Cheyenne didn't care when I got home. It was time to walk, wet or not so off we went. It was worth it.


My clothes were wet, so was my dog, I was being bitten to death as I had expected it was cold enough to keep the little flying teeth at home but my repellent-free arms were a hearty breakfast to squadrons of the damned no see'ums.


What the he'll. It was great to be home.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: