Sunday, November 27, 2011

Playing In The Woods

Cheyenne dictated a slow pace on most of our walks as she sniffed and doubled back and sniffed again among the fallen leaves of the North Carolina woodlands. Which gave me time to look closer and harder at our surroundings which I enjoyed unaccustomed as I am to deciduous trees in winter.











These Celo hills, near the town of Burnsville an hour from Asheville are covered in rhododendrons, green leaved trees that produce magnificent red and white flowers and are I am told, a sight to see in their native habitat in the foothills of the Himalayas. They do quite nicely around here and there is a particular display of them in a park on the Tennessee stateline not far from here. This time of year the leaves fold in the cold at night and the flowers are nothing more than tight little buds.









There was a touch of blue in the sky, as seen through the natural peephole, though nothing quite like a sunny winter sky in Florida, my home.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: