Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bahama Village Stroll 2

A surfboard as decoration seems entirely suitable to me in a town surrounded only by reefs and shallow waters not capable of creating proper tubular waves.


I have seen a lot of construction and renovation in Key West and I have remarked on it previously on this page, yet there remain not a few homes that are being allowed to fall slowly into their constituent parts, like this one:


I speculated with a friend about why this is in a town where the dirt is as valuable as it is in Key West. The conclusion we came to is that most likely out of town relatives end up arguing over an inheritance and entropy sets in while lawyers debate.


I like wandering around pretending to be a tourist. Like these French speakers marching past this particular residence in the village, I blended right in with my camera and my wide eyed gaze.


I noticed and enjoyed the juxtaposition of the stickers, patriotism and gross bad manners. What was the child thinking when he attached them so carelessly to his truck? Has he never heard of Mom and Apple Pie?


A modern home this next one as though dropped here from some damp moldy redwood forest in the Pacific Northwest. The chimney and the porthole remind me of the desire for heat and natural light often found in buildings in that nasty wet climate.


Public housing and the landmark Cornish AME church on Whitehead Street:


I saw these two dudes on Petronia Street acting all 2005 when any of us had the credit to buy a Key West mansion. I enjoyed the boom years even if they were fake and filled with hopeless lines of credit instead of wealth.


The Lemonade Art Stand has finally transitioned into something new and pretty across the street from Blue Heaven:


Another fine summer day in February in Key West, North America's best walking town.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Danette said...

Don't know how many people realize Google's new privacy policy went into place today and all web browsing that was formerly done in private will now be associated with name, address and number of the browser. They have some other pretty insidious practices (like filtering your searches so that you see links that are taylored to your taste- which sound good but amounts to censorship) but putting your name to your browsing is spying as far as I am concerned. I have a link to show how to switch it up on my blog today if you don't know how. Cheers!

Conchscooter said...

Corporate America will destroy us before the government gets to us.