Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Celebrating Key West

The celebration at Mallory Square is mentioned in any piece of travel writing or advertising about Key West. And though it is far removed from the original gathering of Tennessee William's friends it remains a fun place to hang of an evening. I was there myself not so long ago, with my camera.


If you sit in the approaches to the square as the sun starts to head to the horizon you'll see a wild assortment of carts pulled by bicycles and mopeds and even cars heading towards their nightly jobs.


It's all part of the Duval Street thing that visitors come to see, the legendary bars on Key West's main drag.


They come in droves and bring their families and up and down they stroll.


I caught the little kid in her green hat glancing at the passing dog. Cheyenne has the same effect I notice even though my dog and I are far less butch than those striding along in the picture.


Spring breakers can be indistinguishable from regular beach goers.


Though locals tend to stand out by their bizarre costumes.


These cyclists look could be boaters as people who travel on the water like to use folding bikes for obvious reasons, as do folks in RVs.


She's riding the ever popular one speed beach cruiser, probably a rental.


Though rentals usually have a big sign on the front of the basket advertising their status.


Home sweet home.


Every day or at least for a while.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Michael, I've been following your blog for a couple of years. I'll be in the keys next month for the seven mile bridge race (yes, I know, to the dismay of the locals). My husband and young children will meet up with me at the end of the race. Can you recommend any restaurants in that vicinity where they could grab some breakfast? Needs to be open early (7 AM). Any recommendations you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Margaret in PA

Conchscooter said...

If the race ends in marathon and the websites aren't clear, the stuffed pig on US highway one does traditional breakfast foods from 5am every day except sunday when they open at 6. Its close to the switlick school traffic light at 33rd street on the north side of highway one. they have a tremdously badly organized website:
http://www.thestuffedpig.com/index.html the hours are on the Menu/Fare (sic) page for some reason, not on the home page where one would expect them to be.