Friday, April 6, 2012

Appalachian Trail

It is famous for requiring huge sacrifices from humans who imagine they can walk 2200 miles in a summer.


A colleague of mine aspires to be a through hiker on the AT as it is known. My idea of a hike is an hour spent ambling along the crest of the mountain, watching my elderly yellow Labrador get her day's fun from unfamiliar woods and smells.


We stopped by at dawn, fifteen minutes from the urban chaos of Roanoke, Virginia, and we watched the sun come up in a blaze of 50 degree glory.


Hikers routinely leave their cars here in the huge graveled lot. I felt rather a fraud stopping off to simply let Cheyenne pee and sniff.


There are the usual information boards and...


...useful signs.


The famous AT is nothing more than a rather long and frequently strenuous walk in the woods. It's not a yellow brick road nor a path to Shangri-La. It's just a trail, marked rather idiotically by excessively frequent white paint blazes as though it could possibly be something other than what it is.


Cheyenne was in no hurry.


And as it turned out, neither was I.


I never thought I would find myself on top of a place called Catawba Mountain but here I was quite enjoying the cold Spring morning.


If I have to be honest it is rather more impressive a place than your average, common-or-garden mangrove swamp.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

Steve Williams said...

An Appalachian Trail thru hike used to be on my to do list. Now it's just a place I want to visit and I can live out the hike through Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods".

Nice pictures. I've not been to a mangrove swamp so I can't comment...

I thought you killed this blog?

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

Conchscooter said...

Killed? Never. Put on ice for a while - 6 weeks- and then missed it too much.
anything by Bill Bryson is worth a read but his walk in the woods is excellent.
it reminds me of A Short Walk In The Hindu Kush by the late great Eric Newby in that an impossible journey was undertaken with an unsuitable companion with much fun

Anonymous said...

The blog was cryogenically frozen. The conch lost his mojo, came to his senses, and all is well.

Anonymous said...

What's the status of the other blog? Did Chuck move back to the midwest and retire from blogging and boat canvassing? Has he put his shoes back on and rejoined corporate America? He was for awhile a frequent commenter here.

People have inquired at the other blog, but no response has been forthcoming. Hope all is well.

Conchscooter said...

When chuck told me he had bought the canvas business I knew blogging would suffer. I was unhappy that I was writing to a format that took second place to his canvas shop. When I returned to my own format I left all that behind. I wished him well and returned to my own small corner of the web. I know nothing further.