Friday, June 15, 2012

B.O.'s Fish Wagon

My wife wanted to see one of her graduating students in town to say hi, but the kid had swapped her scheduled shift and we were left to order fried fish sandwiches.


They offer more than that on their menu.


The good bit is that this rough assemblage of planks and junk allows dogs. Cheyenne stayed home as it is getting too hot for her to be hanging around outdoors in the middle of the day.


It was white hot outside and the fans inside were the bare minimum needed to stay comfortable lacking windows and air conditioning.


Our neighbors over ordered and offered us their extra order of conch fritters which the nice lady pronounced "konsh" which confused me for a second.


I woofed them, to show appreciation and because I am a pig. Essentially konk fritters are hush puppies with bits of mollusk buried in the batter. How bad can a fried dough ball be even with conch in it?


Thank you ma'am, I enjoyed them! And off she went studying her street map.


It's a shambolic place, is Buddy Owen's restaurant.


Key West funk I suppose, whatever that means.


People come by and take pictures.


After 20 minutes our fried fish sandwiches arrived. I used to work across the street at Fast Buck Freddie's shipping warehouse and we could smell the French fries wafting across Caroline Street. It was nice to get to taste them and remember the 'good old days.' Ah, nostalgia!


At $13 apiece I figure these are downtown tourist prices.


What the hell it was fun playing tourist for an afternoon.


The sandwich was okay but Sandy's sells a similar sandwich with no fires and more fish for $7, with limited outdoor seating and easy access to waterfront picnic tables at Higgs. Still I had a good time at B.O.'s and once in a while it's worth it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

16 comments:

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

I always wondered if Key West had a health inspector for some of it's restaurants.

Conchscooter said...

Um, theoretically the state does.

Conchscooter said...

They ban dogs in restaurants. But BO's is an interesting case...

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Cape Coral recently passed a license law to leave it up to the establishment (and generate themselves a little revenue). If they get the license, they can have dogs in the outdoor seating areas.

My poke about health inspectors was not at BO's, but just my general perception of "Florida funky" is sometimes akin to "rough". Hey, boosts the immune system, right?

Anonymous said...

Next time try their cheeseburgers. My wife has ordered them for years while I stuck to the fish sandwich. After 15 years I finally ordered a cheesburger and it was one of the best I've had in Key West. The next day I came back for another and got to chat with Buddy a bit. We signed the metal sign. Vic and Alexia 2011, maybe you saw it. We also put a wooden sign on the post by Turtle Kraals, Vineland 1361 mi. If your ever by there snap a pic it's near the bottom in the front. Scooter Vic

Anonymous said...

BO's is my favorite place besides El Siboney's to eat in KW. I always sit in the back and the birds are always pecking around for any stray pieces of bread.It seems their fish is always fresh. I love that place.

Bob from Livingston Montana (finally a nice sunny 70 degree day today! after this week's cold weather and last week's snow, it almost feels hot today)

Anonymous said...

The real question is, are the grouper sandwiches still real grouper? Over the last 15 years most of my favorite grouper sandwich places in Florida have gone to the dark side and don't serve real grouper. Fortunately, no one has figured how to fake my true Key West favorite: stone crabs.

Conchscooter said...

I'd like to think BO's serves real grouper but we ordered the plain fish sandwich. Next time it will have to be a cheeseburger. Some people think Braza Leña's hamburger is the greatest but to me it was just OK. BO's fish is fine by me and the service is cheerful and the customers are too. It's well worth the stop.
I will check the wooden sign post too.

Anonymous said...

We were down the month of Nov. and signed the metal girl sign @ BO's, made the Vineland NJ sign, Made it with nothing but a steak knife borrowed from the place we were staying, and put a Cumberland County Corrections patch on the wall of Capt. Tonys next to the NJ State Police sign. I had a patch for you too but never ran into you. I looked for you but didn't want to feel like a stalker then when we got home and I read your blog I realized I did see you laying down on Bow Channel Bridge? taking a pic. Maybe Nov. 26th. Well anyway I'll have your patch next time. Scooter Vic

Anonymous said...

It was Sugarloaf Channel. You were laying down taking a pic and I remember saying to my wife "there is someone laying down on that bridge maybe he needs help" as we drove by but then we saw you move so we kept on to KW. The pics were posted Dec. 1st. You must have took them on Nov. 30th after your Vaca. Scooter Vic

Conchscooter said...

I don't bite. Mostly I shy away when people recognize me. I like laying on asphalt in the winter as it's warm. The beauty of living in the keys is you can do pretty much as you want if you aren't wrecking someone elses life. Laying in odd places gives a new perspective. Try it.

Anonymous said...

I'll Bring the patch next time. And if I see someone laying on the ground I'll be sure to make sure it's not you. Scooter Vic

Anonymous said...

Years ago B O's used to be a wagon on the corner off Duval, maybe 400-500 block. The City found him a space by the shell rock parking lot where he is now, all the improvements have been done. That old truck he used to ride around in there too. Next time you see him ask him about the details. It might be a good story.

Anonymous said...

I discovered your blog last night while looking at pictures of the seven mile bridge. I am also a 911 dispatcher who has been thinking/daydreaming of relocating to the Keys. I've enjoyed reading through your blog and look forwarding of reading more!!

Conchscooter said...

We have plenty of openings! $16 An hour to start, $25 a pay period for full health insurance, defined benefit pension plan vested in five years with the Florida league of cities and 100% after ten years. Expect to pay $600 for a room, $1,000 for a studio and $1400 for a two bedroom.
No car needed, lots of OT and a secure job. It's hard to find people who want to move to key west who don't want to party and who can show up for 12 hour shifts without flaking.

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds so tempting. I am definitely not into the party scene, just love the beach and the ocean and recently saw a thing on Animal Planet about the cats in Key West and did a little reading and just fell in love with the area. I've been a dispatcher since 2003 in both a full time and part time status. I'm a full time administrative assistant and part time 911 dispatcher now. I sometimes work 16 hour days between both jobs. I'm 50, ugh can't hardly believe it LOL. I love dispatching and think I could love the Keys.