Friday, July 20, 2012

Climate Change, Key West Style

It was a bit gray off to the southeast but Cheyenne needed a walk and I had brought her to town to do just that. So out we got and off we went in the Casa Marina district, the city's most expensive neighborhood.


Immediately Cheyenne hunted down and nailed some prey, tuning in her genetic wolf instincts.


A small dog snarled viciously from the safety of a passing bicycle basket. Cheyenne did her usual and ignored the provocation.


The weather was threatening and the strong cool breeze made it obvious rain was soon to follow.


Squeals sounded as beach goers, dressed to take advantage of salt water shuddered and ran for cover as though sulphuric acid were falling from the sky.


The visitors covered themselves in towels and ran out into the heavy rain. Cheyenne and I took cover under a tree and waited and watched.


A nice porch could have worked, and there wasn't a "No Trespassing" sign to be seen...


The rain fell, the tourists scattered getting soaked as they fled and peace returned to the street. We waited for the inevitable.


Another local took the falling water with aplomb. A ninety degree day becomes a 75 degree rain shower. This just isn't hypothermia country. And inevitably the rain will stop soon enough.


Conch train drivers, like letter carriers keep on going no matter the weather and their passengers get to wear yellow condoms.


Restaurants keep serving too so deliveries don't stop and you've got think this guy is happy to be here rather than say Minneapolis in January, if he thinks about it at all.


Louie's backyard has tons of fans thanks to their over the water deck, though I'm not one of them as I don't like being treated like a trespasser when I got for drinks or dinner. Going there in the rain sounds crazy to me, however several tourists asked me the way so they like it.


Out on the water hopeful snorkelers waited and rolled at the dock as the squall blew through.


Of course it blew over fast enough. Ten minutes later...


...Cheyenne and I were sticking to the tree covered side of the street to find some much needed shade. Key West's summer weather is like that.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

10 comments:

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Ah... quite refreshing.

RichardM said...

"treated like a trespasser"

Seems to be getting more common these days...

Brady Steffl said...

Conch,

Everywhere in the US is getting rain but us. Well, that's not entirely true, but you're the third post I've seen about rain and it breaks my heart. It's so dry here, and so hot, I want to curl up and die. It's got to be really terrible for the farmers and I can't bring myself to think about what it'll do to the farm and grocery economy.

Christ, am I a downer. Well, enjoy the weather!

Brady
Behind Bars
www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com

Anonymous said...

I had the worst steak I ever ate (or tried to eat)at Louie's about 4 years ago. I've never been back.

Wish that rain would work its way up north and keep these forest fires away.

Bob from Livingston Montana

Conchscooter said...

Now they say we are getting Sahara dust from Africa, keeping us hot and dry for a few days. Sounds good to me!
The drought is going to cause real hardship among the world's poor. Here and abroad. You too will feel the corn pricing if you ever eat anything processed... And climate change is just starting.
I too can be a downer!

Brady Steffl said...

Conch,

What keeps me sane, just a bit is when people actually talk about climate change like it could be a real thing. I understand the doubts, but scientists get death threats over this stuff. I don't really go for much processed stuff, so I'm not too worried there, but I'm guessing the WalMart crowd - and no ill will meant here - will feel it more. Last week I was in the store and saw a shopping cart full of pop. Full. The lady behind it just wheeled the poor, strained thing toward the register. If there is one possible upside it's that Twinkies and Mountain Dew will go to a price that is slightly less appealing. I'm sure there will be new products or workarounds though. Such is life.

Brady
Behind Bars

Conchscooter said...

We know and talk about climate change but for those who think it's bull shit the reality will come as a shock. For sub Saharan populations it will be a death sentence. Bra.

Anonymous said...

The NYTimes recently had an article about how basic human psychology causes us to have difficulty addressing climate change. Things people generally suck at:

1) We have trouble imagining a future drastically different from the present.
2)We block out complex problems that lack simple solutions.
3)We dislike delayed benefits and so are reluctant to sacrifice today for future gains.
4) And we find it harder to confront problems that creep up on us than emergencies that hit quickly.

I suppose my point is that even without the issue of hyper partisan politics people don't deal with these kinds of problems well, which might explain why every empire in history has eventually collapsed from problems that in retrospect seem somewhat avoidable.

Conchscooter said...

It makes sense in a rather unpleasant way. Add to that the notion that "my neighbors are doing nothing so why should I bother..." and our empire seems certain to collapse. Bugger.

Anonymous said...

The "empire" is collapsing but that empire is not just the US but the whole global structure based upon cheap oil. The highlanders of Papua New Guinea are probably not too worried about it.