Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Check Is In The Mail

I talked to the owner of the Vespa P200E Saturday morning from my sickbed where I am coughing up copious quantities of congestion. The $2500 check is in the mail to Iowa and I plan to fly up in a month and take a week to ride the 33 year old Vespa home in this Modern Vespa Ad
I had sent Jeremy the ADVrider essay I wrote some years ago about my cross country trip on an identical machine and he perked up a bit about selling his beloved ride to someone who knows about and cares about two stroke Vespas. At the same time he noticed how beat up my bike got six months after riding it across country. Seen here in Mexico on the main road north to Nogales:


Yes, I said, you're the kind of guy one wants to buy a motorcycle from sight unseen, not me. He sounded a tad rueful as he agreed. He then said he would send the bike in to his vintage Vespa shop for a last tune up (!) ready for my arrival the last week of September. The deal is done. Gulp.

On first contacting him Jeremy sounded reluctant to sell as he told me about the dreadful state of his scooter since it's 2009 ground up restoration. He thought a slight ding on the fender might kill the deal. He blamed an errant child on a bicycle for the awful minuscule scrape but I was headstrong and I still wanted his beloved. "It's time for it to go," he mumbled mournfully as I offered to rescind the deal if he wanted to keep it. I sense a powerful female presence in the background.

I have a few purchases to mail to his house, a second mirror ($33) a floor mat ($27) to dampen ride vibration of which there is a fair bit, a front luggage rack ($115) all of which I will order and mail to a complete stranger 1769 (Google Map) miles away. It will be long ride home for me and MY low tech two stroke. U Haul is my back up - unworthy thought.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

9 comments:

RichardM said...

That looks like a really cool scooter.

What! No GPS, ABS, or other TLA's (Three Letter Acronym) installed? How can you possibly survive?

Conchscooter said...

I shall travel armed only with paper maps, water purchased along the way and a large dose of serendipity.

Anonymous said...

Awesome purchase. A wonderful act of functional nostalgia.

bobskoot said...

Mr Conchscooter:

I think you got a very good deal for a restored P200E, my favourite model. Can't wait for your ride report

bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube



Conchscooter said...

I have 67,000miles on the Bonneville o i'm hoping to cut back a little bit there and thus keep it longer...functional nostalgia is a term I shall appropriate, thank you.

Anonymous said...

How long is it going to take you to cover 2847KM on your "new"vespa?My grandparents left Collins Iowa with four young children to come to Fl. in 1924 by auto. Be safe on your adventure.

Conchscooter said...

Umm...less than a week I hope as that's all the time I'll have. Mostly it will be a matter of sitting still and riding at 50/55 ten hours a day and not minding. Freeways these days are out as traffic travels far too fast for a scooter limited to about 65 mph. Besides the freeway will be even more boring at those speeds. on the whole I expect it will be less of an adventure than your ancestors had.

Vicky92569 said...

As a Key West - o - phile and fellow Vespa lover and owner, I can't wait to read about the journey! Safe travels!

Conchscooter said...

Here's hoping...