Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Vote Early, Vote Often

I am out of town today so I voted preventatively last week in Florida's preferential primary elections. I showed up at the courthouse on my wife's stolen Vespa (the Bonneville was in the shop getting it's annual check up) and threw my ballot into the box as usual.


The Supervisor of Elections, retiring after this go round, predicts a 40 percent turnout which seems odd when you consider what a kerfuffle our political scene is these days. With all the ranting and posturing you'd think more native born Americans would get up and off their backsides to have their say. These are local elections so our votes actually do have meaning at this level. I figure the one per centers have already chosen President Obama for a second term but I doubt they have put their oar in to select school board members in Monroe County or Ron Saunders for one more job in Tallahassee, so I voted with a will. Early voting is quite popular alongside the absentee ballots of yore, yet that must leave half my eligible neighbors not bothering to show up. What a waste.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Garythetourist said...

Amen. We fight for rights and then take them for granted.

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Agreed, what a waste.

Conchscooter said...

And turn out ended up a thirty percent.