Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Duval In October

A stroll on Duval Street yesterday afternoon surprised me. It wasn't the heat, one expects a temperature near ninety degrees this time of year, as we await the arrival of cold fronts to give relief from the endless summer. It was the huge number of people on the street that surprised. We took refuge inside the former Fast Buck Freddie's department store at 500 Duval which I described here previously as an art fair.

Granted yesterday was a holiday, one of those days off which may or may not mean businesses other than government offices may be closed. Retail stores excluded in the hope that tourist traffic idling along the sidewalk might try stopping and seeking an impulse purchase. Some impulses are firmly discouraged, impulses I'd never even imagined I might have.

People watching is a pleasant pastime and for me the sight of serious" touring motorcycles was as unusual as it was odd, but there again BMW riders are notorious for over dressing. And looking serious.

I'm kidding though my sense of humor could hardy be described as Teutonic, so I shall move on to the more usual attire of hardcore riders on Duval Street, equally goofy at the opposite extreme.

If ever I take the mufflers off my bike please shoot me. These dudes killed my eardrums but they are the norm in Key West and make you miss the sight of silent " serious " BMW riders....Mind you, these guys look pretty serious too.

This picture I couldn't resist, bikers seeking out their individual self expression on Eaton Street.

I miss my motorcycle when I'm driving my cage. It makes me bitchy. Especially when I see cagers behaving like silly billies. Wedged in nicely!

Unless you drive a commercial truck then it's not "parking" but "loading" which makes it possible to connect the southernmost city with the outside world. Getting stuff shipped is when you remember how nice it is that Key West is in Florida and thus part of those famous contiguous 48 states. Puerto Rican shipping rates don't apply here.

Better to be on foot downtown, in any style that suits you:

 

 

 

Or ride a bicycle. Lots to choose among here.

And for those who have to drive, lots of people like to pimp their cages.

Once back in the car and driving outbound on Fleming the view sinks out of sight. Oh well.

It was nice seeing Duval again. Nice to see it reasonably busy. Must make a note to self to do this again soon.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do not....mount the art. Lololo

CSM Mac said...

Conchscooter: In case that you missed it, the Hogfish B&G was listed in the top 10 best seafood restaurants in the U.S. by Travel and Leisure. It was listd in third place.

Mac

Conchscooter said...

Anon - never knew I could,
Company sergeant major - I am astonished. Better than square grouper? Seven fish?

Anonymous said...

Hogfish #3, seriously? I like Hogfish, but #3? Top 100 would be generous.

CSM Mac said...

Conchscooter: Don't know. Next time I'm down I'll try all three maybe four because I liked the Rusty Anchor, however it has been a few years. I'll do an in depth analysis on each and post it. Do you have any other suggestions. I also tried "BO's I thought the conch fritters were very good and the beer was very cold. As I said it has been a few years.

Mac

Anonymous said...

Try all three is the best solution;> I like Pepe's but mostly for their NY strip and margaritas. I've also been going there for 30 years which just makes it more fun.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir:

I rather suspect you do have a Tuetonic sense of humor. Take this simple test:

A) Would you rather watch a sitcom on TV, or invade Poland?
b)Do you laugh whenever someone uses the word wiener-schnitzel as an adjective?
c) When shaving, do you manage to miss three-quarters of an inch on your upper lip?

If you answered "Poland, Yes," and "Yes" to the questions above, you should be riding a bike made in Bavaria.

Sincerely,
Hans Von Sausagebreath
Liederhosen, Wisc.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir:

It appears that you suffer from the same sort of moto-prejudice common to so many senior citizens waiting to take the great dirt nap in Florida. Loud pipes save lives... If it wasn't for the straight pipes on my Harley, I'd clip two or three of you on my routine ride to the strip bar every day.

Yours truly,

Stevie Harrocks
Sound Technician
Chrome Harley Balls, IA

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir:

So what if you did remove the muffler from your 1968 powder blue Vespa?

As ever,

Stover Intight
Wersley Flats, Michigan

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir:

I think the BMW rider is dressed like he's on the way to a wedding. Are you aware that most grooms these days find it prudent to say "I do" wearing full ballistic gear? This is because a number of them have not recovered from asking the question of their new spouse, "Will eating wedding cake prevent you from giving me a trombone solo from this day on?"

Ballistic gear: It's not just casual wear any more."

I am happy to answer your technical riding/fashion questions.

Able LeCompter
Sandbag Key, Fla

Anonymous said...

Maybe that was the art gallery that kicked me out because I took my cell phone out and sat down to make a call and it wasn't even a smart phone that I could take pictures with. I was just hot and wanted out of the crowds on Duval.

Doesn't the store owner realize it's a global market now? I have an Amazon app on my iphone that I can scan in the UPC, check the item's price and order it from Amazon from my phone while in the store.

Bob from Livingston Montana

Bob from Livingston Montana

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

These look like locals, as opposed to tourists during some Duval Daze.

Conchscooter said...

Stand by for fantasy fest pictures. And that's all I have to say about that. Non sequitur central.