Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Road To Shangri La

Call me naïve but I was astonished by the caravan on the road passing my street this afternoon on Highway One. It was an endless stream of cars trucks motorcycles and RVs heading toward the forbidden pleasures of the flesh lurking on Lower Duval. Painted nipples, g strings and bizarre costumes are the theme this week as Fantasy Fest, the last weekend of October, draws near.

I only managed to join the flow thanks to some improvident pleasure seeker who needed gas and pulled in to the Shell station at the end of my street. Getting home after Cheyenne's walk was equally fraught but we made it with patience and by paying attention. I had thought idly about going into town to see what's what but I have an appointment in Key West tomorrow for lunch so I'll be there in time to see these people strutting their intoxicated stuff, high on Key West freedom. I'm getting a raise this year so thank you all for showing up and spending money in town. May the power of your greenbacks never grow less.

3 comments:

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Bionic baby boomer boobies and buttocks airbrushed. Gay men in t-backs and kabuki costumes. Eastern European supple strippers hidden away in dark places covered in Skin-So-Soft and glitter. FantasyFest.

Conchscooter said...

Er....

David B. said...

Fact is, if I wanted to see old, fat naked people, I could stay home and look in the mirror in the bathroom. Most don't offend, but the occasional 400+ pounder in nearly nothing is not my idea of a good time.

I do have a much better understanding of what to expect as I pass 70, though.