Friday, December 21, 2012

Key West Scooters

I was at the motorcycle repair shop saying hello to my Bonneville which is waiting for a valve job and on the way in I passed two very similar scooters. One of these two scooters is an Italian job, made by Aprilia and is full of scooter cred. The other is a cheap Chinese knock off which it's proponents argue does the scooter job just fine with no need to pay through the nose for the Italian job.

The orange scooter on the left is The Aprilia Mojito (Habana in the embargo-free world) while the other one is a Chinese Baron.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I love this blog...I never know what I'm going to get when I sign on to read. Scooters, crazy people, great pics, Keys history, and of course Cheyenne.I must say I'm addicted. I catch myself signing on just to see if you have loaded another blog in yet. Alright nothing yet I'll re-read some old ones. Pick a topic for search and I'm good for a while. Thanks Michael. Scooter Vic

Conchscooter said...

Glad you are having fun.58 degrees tonight in Key West will freeze me into immobility tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

58* I'm still riding my scooter. With gloves and my heaviest coat mind you but I'm still riding...Scooter Vic

Orin said...

It was 38°F this morning and raining like a mo-fo, but I would've gone for a scooter ride, had I not been forced to sell my scooter back in April, to a guy who wrecked it about a month ago. Oh, well.

I've seen many of the Chinese knockoffs in the pic, and they do indeed get the job done for their owners. I believe there's a company in China that makes plastic scooter bodies, which are used by many different companies on bikes of varying quality... the Yamaha Vino 50 and Aprilia Mojito/Habana being the most popular. I toy with the idea of getting one myself...

__Orin
Scootin' Old Skool

Conchscooter said...

I have always liked the plastic recreation of a classic Vespa with a twist and go chinese motor...