Friday, December 7, 2012

The Abandoned Tree

I was striding down Whitehead Street the other day and I passed a pair of cruise ship women, identified by the colored discs issued by the ships and affixed to their ample bosoms, while one was speaking to the other as our paths crossed. I overheard a snippet, "...I don't know," she grumbled, "...something about an abandoned tree." Huh? I thought to myself. Then I spotted a group of tourists standing around necks craning up above their heads.
By the time I got my phone out and the camera turned on they were moving up the street following their guide who had finished spouting about the famous tree on Whitehead Street. I overheard his patter "...the largest banyan tree in the world I'm told is in East Africa and takes up five acres." I took a picture of the crowd shuffling off, away from the now abandoned tree.

No comments: