Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

It is a complicated thing trying to explain to a non believer how much pleasure you can get from the company of a dog. Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read, a quotation attributed to Mark Twain, about sums up how I feel about Cheyenne. She came into my life in December 2009 and even though she was given up to the pound on the grounds of being too old (?) I expect she has a few more good years left in her. I'd be as ready to give her up to the pound as I would be to cut my own heart out. She has traveled across country with us in the car, been all across the South visiting various friends and relations and she has thus suffered mightily at the hands of my wanderlust. Cheyenne exhibits unnatural abilities to make up her own mind, she knows what she wants, and she lets me know in no uncertain terms. When I have been bedridden with the 'flu she has slept with me and when I have been to tired to walk her she has failed signally to show her disappointment.  My tribute to my ever patient dog:

Ocracoke, North Carolina.
 



                                                Waiting for me to come home in the morning.







Santa Cruz California, not dog happy.
 Happy dog at It's Beach, Santa Cruz  westside.
 New Orleans in the heat.











Not impressed enough by summer in Cheyenne, Wyoming to step out of the car.

 Las Cruces New Mexico got her attention.





The Appalachian mountains.










 How did Jack Riepe get in here?









 Bobscoot, Bend, Oregon.




 A coffee stand in Oregon.
 Rick and Cheyenne, Santa Cruz harbor.







Porter Sesnon State Park, Santa Cruz County, California.

















Home, asleep.



Labradors  shed mightily.









Sharing my Iron Butt certificate.





 A very long walk in the mangroves.





 An impromptu vet visit, Montgomery, Alabama.

 Karl and Cheyenne in Birmingham.

 Her grassy bed at home .
 16th Street Church Memorial in Birmingham.



Boating isn't her cup of tea. But she puts up with it to be with me. I hope we get out this summer...




 Blue Hole, Big Pine Key. Not Cheyenne.






13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful essay and photos except for one jarring mug shot.

East Egg Bill said...

Great photo essay. Reminds me of our dog Cookie who passed on 8 years ago. A dog is undeniably unconditional love and you can see it here.

Martha Tenney said...

"Lucky" dog doesn't even come close. You are one of the rare people who will take on an older pet. You are a gem.

Most people choose pets like they choose fashion accessories and discard them just as easily. They damage them, generally, then discard them.

Your life and her life are so much more rewarding because you made that one decision.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite essays. Scooter Vic

Shonassie said...

Yes she is one lucky dog and you are one lucky family as well. I remember most of these pics, a couple are my favorites! Her other "family" were just standbys her real home has been with you. Wasn't it the pet parade near the time of Fantasy Fest that you first saw her? Glad you were where you were and spotted her! All of your lives were changed for the better. Glad you are home and safe, enjoy the beautiful Spring that I am yet to se! LOL!!! Sherry

Anonymous said...

Great essay! I have a black cocker spaniel that I wouldn't want to be without.

Snow is no longer in the forecast, but I'd rather be there than here in South West Montana.

Bob from Livingston Montana

Cody Goldman said...

This is a true love affair, I really enjoyed this.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Conchscooter said...

It was fun hunting for he pictures. I I'd indeed see her at the 2009 holiday parade and to her on the Monday following. She was eight and a half. Great of.

bayrider said...


What I always say, Peace Love, Dogs...

Garythetourist said...

April 4
Conchscooter where are you? I can't start my work day without my daily Keys fix. I hope you are well.

Margaret Scholl said...

This was a great post! The devotion between the two of you is obvious and undeniable. She likely has seen more things in her first 6 months with you than in her entire pre-Conchscooter life. This was a joy to read and made me smile. Thank you.

Susan said...

A lovely tribute to a beautiful dog. We talk about "rescuing" dogs, but sometimes I think it's them that save us. There are many things I love about your blog, Cheyenne is at the top of that list.