Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Walk, A Read and A Loss

It was a hot morning in Key West and Cheyenne was ready to go home. She likes to end her walks with a little sit down, watching the world go by, getting her breath back and thinking those profound thoughts that only dogs know. I find less peace meditating on a public bench early in the morning when the street activity is such that I can even get bored observing nothing very much happening.
On the bench under the awning in front of Finnegan's Wake I happened to see a familiar face. For some unaccountable reason she had tried training in my office to be a dispatcher but hers is another path and she, a young Conch with talent it seems, got an internship in France learning fashion for her career in design. My rather pedestrian outlook requires me to think that a secure government job in an uncertain world is the better path, which is absurd for if that were everyone's path invention and accidental advancement would vanish from the Earth.
In this same world where everything is available online a paper magazine has to offer something that grabs your interest off the page and weekly magazines in Key West have passed their zenith with the passing of the age of easy money. They are for the most part vehicles to stroke large egos in a small town and to display advertising, they are not for the most part designed to display words or pictures that grab my interest. These days health "tips" and "lifestyle" advice and so forth substitute for wit and information and that interests me not one jot. I have novels on my pocket telephone, a tool that gives me access to the newspapers of the world, which is amazing to me. New York Times Review of Books or Konk Life while I wait for my dog to catch her breath?
On my blog pages I have a long list of Key West blogs that are still around but they come and go, mostly go, when it becomes obvious that in a world fed by fame and fortune blogs produce neither. The author of his column that caught my eye in the discarded weekly used to have a blog celebrating the stereotypical Key West "lifestyle" Bitchin' Paradise but as you can see it died a while back. But here it is in print., and it so happened the topic caught my eye. The corporate owner of La Concha wants to replace its iconic rooftop bar with a spa and salon and the bitch in paradise correctly thinks this is a bad idea. I like her vision of The Top as an indoor outdoor space, a comfortable space that might encourage people to gather to view the city by night rather than simply to get drunk on Duval. I has completed mourning the passing of The Top as when once money talks city planners walk and I don't expect anything to change that. The author apparently hopes public opinion can change corporate lust for money. Very quixotic!
The cause of all this fuss is Key West Diary: The Top. It's open at three pm while the bar opens at five. To get there take the elevator inside La Concha and hit the clearly labeled button. Do it while you can and meanwhile, keep smiling.


7 comments:

Trobairitz said...

In this day and age doesn't corporate greed always win?

If things are zoned right public opinion can't do much except vote with their pocketbooks and not go somewhere they don't want.

John S said...

I've heard the same corp. bought the Pier House and are making changes there. We always stay at the Pier House when we visit Key West and I find this disturbing if true. Some things should just stay as they are for the charm and ambience they provide. There is no need for another sterile corporate resort especially in Key West. We will still visit Key West but may have to change our accomodations if there are far reaching changes to facilities and personnel at the PH.. :-(

Abaco said...

First off I just want to say how much I love your Blob, it has become a big part of my day. My wife and I have been coming to Key West every year since 98 and the Top is one of our favorite places to go since we have long since grown board of Duval street. One of the great things about KW is it's always changing but on the other hand the down side to KW is the same. That's why I'm glad to see how long your Blog has been around, I would hate to see it go the same way as PT's Late Night or even the Dunkin Donuts on Greene street.

Robert Wilson said...

I don't think anyone really gets into blogging to make money - sure we could became coorperate stooges and rave about the newest lipstick or motorcycle.

No...most bloggers write because they want to share part of their world with others.

As far as the development goes...a corp would sell it's very soul for short term profit.

Conchscooter said...

The Top may be on the way out, but this Blog probably not.

Abaco said...

Glad to hear it!

Anonymous said...

I heard they had a 45th reunion of the Chart Room the other day. Another venerable institution often rumored for destruction. Every time I go to the Chart Room I always wished the walls could talk.

Tomorrow Scott Kirby will be in town to play his Key West Smokin' Tuna music, but it's only going to be 60 degrees and probably a 40 mph wind when he's playing outside so it will feel like 50 degrees. It will still be a great time!

Bob from Livingston Montana