Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Brown And White Food

I have written about Flakowitz previously, a well hidden step mall deli off Boyntpn Beach Boulevard, close by the Turnpike's exit 86. It's a four hour drive from Key West but we tend o stop here when we pass by because my wife misses her Jewish roots from time to time.
Because I grew up in Italy, land of the colorful food I tend to joke with my wife that Jewish food is all brown and white, a suggestion she rejects pointing to the use of beets to make soup. Russian food I reply, as we load up with knishes and pastrami and challah. There's plenty to choose among at Flakowitz's:
Brown and white? You decide, but I see whitefish, meatloaf, mashed potatoes brown gravy etc...
Mac and cheese is yellow but is it Jewish?
All this and pastries and cookies and bizarre Jewish candy that come sin brown and white wavy blocks...
My wife likes to make soup so when I was coming home from Pennsylvania I stuck to the shopping list she sent, including chopped liver which I put firmly in the in edible category alongside whitefish in brine.
I am quite find of prune hamentashen which she ,ysteriously left off the list so I added a couple for me.
It ended up being a fifty dollar picnic which we spread over a weekend of proper Jewish food in the Keys.
I  am reminded of all this as today is the day I take my chompers to the dentist for a check up. Good teeth need good food.

6 comments:

Martha Tenney said...

The hamentashen sounds good. Like little turnovers? But I have to agree on white and brown with shades of gray.

Conchscooter said...

pastry filled with fruit purée, best eaten with tea. Not flaky like a turnover exactly but lose.

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Kosher pickles are green!

Trobairitz said...

I haven't had much experience with Jewish food but the picture of the containers of mushed up meats turn my stomach a little.

I think I'd do best with the sweets even if they are brown and white

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Sir:

There is nothing on earth as pleasing as a traditional Jewish Deli. And I do love pickled herring, pastrami, and corned beef when it is prepared by experts.

Where were you in Pennsylvania?

I dropped off the planet for a month and all hell breaks loose.

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

Mr. Reep,

Is that a sandwich with all 3 (pickled herring, pastrami, and corned beef)?

BTW, corned beef is red. Coupled with a green kosher pickle, it could be Christmas, but then again that might be a different type of deli.