Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summerland Seascape

A lovely moment wishing I could get my boat in the water. It's so bloody human isn't it. The moment was perfect, the heat not unbearable the water flat and smooth and there I was wishing for more...

Cheyenne doesn't care. She lives in the moment and judging by the difficulties of her early life it's a trick she has perfected.

I love summer in the Keys. The population thins out, bird watching grandparents are gone, spandexed active people are vacationing in Europe or running on the beach in Bali, instead of taking their winter exercise on these silent backroads. Besides it's not even that hot down here, maybe 93 with a fresh breeze while Kansas City is ...93. Hmm. So remind me again why people think its too hot here to send a summer by this tranquil ocean?

I know, there's more to summer than sunshine. There's rolling green fields studded with copses, hiking through dappled woodlands and cool summer mornings before the sun comes up at some ungodly hour, as happens in high latitudes. Down here it's mangroves and flatness.

We're off to North Carolina for a week soon so I'll get a sample of all that stuff of which I spoke. My sister in law said to me once that she couldn't believe she lived there one evening when we were standing on a ridge under Mount Mitchell watching the haze of a heated day turn to purple blackness in the valley below. I like Asheville but summer is too short and winters are long wet and cold.

Around here it doesn't change much, a bit warmer and a bit damper or a bit cooler and drier. Someone cut the little clump of mangroves in front of the launch ramp, managing to ruin their looks while not clearing what little they impeded. I used to worry about nature encroaching but these days I figure a nature has more right to encroach than we have to fight it off. if nature lease my house alone Ill do my best not to mess with nature's house.

It's the dog's way too. Cheyenne makes a great teacher. Even as she naps using Niles Road as a pillow.

What I have is enough. Indeed it's a banquet.

7 comments:

Trobairitz said...

That last picture of Cheyenne is adorable. So peaceful. Makes me want to pat her on the head.

Martha Tenney said...

Some really lovely photos here.

NC has short summers? Or just Asheville? All things relative.

Last winter here was brutal and this horribly soaked summer is not very user friendly. Not terribly employment friendly either if you work outside...

Cathy W. said...

thanks for the kc shout I have often not understood the "well the humidity is so high" hot is hot. I would much rather be hot there then here. My favorite place KW!

Cathy W. said...

Thank you so much for the time you put in your blog. I read every day

Conchscooter said...

Cheyenne's walks re the best way tome own after a night at work., Trobaritz.
Martha every time I have been to Asheville my wife's family says "it's not usually this cold..." Asheville is the Mad City of North Carolina as we shall see in pictures soon on this very blog...
I was in Kansas for a 107 degree day and the oll booth taker, battling winds to collect our money said cheerfully: these winds are why everyone in Kansas is short and fat!" she made me chuckle but I realised how tough mid westerners have to be. Key west is a piece of cake by comparison.

Anonymous said...

Abaco says,

I couldn't agree more with your first picture. My wife and I used to head down to KW every Summer for 13 years. Our friends here in Buffalo thought we were crazy. "It must be so hot and humid down there" they never understood that it wasn't that bad and like you said, the lack of tourists more than made up for it. We went down twice in the Winter and it was way to busy for us.

I also LOVED the last picture of Cheyenne, it is a dogs life!

I'm sorry, I fell behind on my reading and I have a day to catch up on.

Patrick

Conchscooter said...

Glad you liked it. These essays are here to stay so there is no hurry to "ctach up." I try to do shorter essays on the weekend but it gets away from me and the words come pouring out. Aspergers. I actually try to write the undated ones, essays that dont refer to a time period, a few days in advance to allow me to catch my breath or write longer ones in between.