Friday, July 5, 2013

Cell Free Day

Someone has decided we should all leave our telephones at home today. I don't know about you but my smart phone which I have owned for less than a year has become the Swiss Army knife of daily living for me. The camera and flashlight functions are as useful for me as the phone. I like sending pictures, as though electronic postcards, and checking the mapping function and reading the temperature and forecast. While I dislike surfing the web on the miniature screen I do like reading my novels on my miniature kindle. I'll whip it out (my Android I mean) in a supermarket check out and read a few paragraphs rather than stand there and stare at the back of the customer in front. Call me dependent if you must. But apparently I am an electronic addict, a drone, a slave and I must vanquish my electronic oppressor.
I am not sure how this will go for me today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny - I did that yesterday (7/4) unintentionally. . No big deal really because I don't take it into work...

Martha Tenney said...

I'm not making a comment. I mean, I'm not making any other comment than No Comment. Well, there I just made two comments. And now three and ...

Cookieboss said...

I work in the restaurant business, and it's AMAZING how many guests will continue talking on their precious device while telling me what they want by pointing. Some people have lost all perception of what RUDE is! Thanks for the laugh!

Trobairitz said...

I don't have a smart phone. I have a dumb flip phone that is half broken and only works on speaker phone. It makes calls and does texting and that is it.

I can't figure out if I am too frugal for a new one and a monthly plan or just bucking the trend.

Bryce Lee said...

The choice of having a mobile communication device exceeds all normality or so it seems. My cheap
$0.00 samsjung flip phone is often not turned on except when I need it.
Problem is the battery is often dead and the local provider would just love to sell me another newer device. My fingers are enormous so texting is out and, mosto f my friends who are older than me don't even have a
mobile phone. Mind they still have a otary telephone in their house
seeing no need to change.

I much prefer my personal isolation.

Conchscooter said...

In light of all this curmudgeonliness I an condidetibg an essay titled "road food.". Next week perhaps, you Luddites...