Sunday, August 18, 2013

Key West Style

 I don't think I could live with outdoor curtains like these:
As pretty as they may be, in my world they would just end up a dusty dirty mess. Hurricane shutters I can and do live with. I have shutters like these on my bedroom and I have much improved my daytime sleep patterns since I stuck them up. My wife hates them but they really are a helop to a night worker.

It never ceases to amaze me how many unused empty lots of land and decaying houses there are in Key West. This is a town of limited land mass with a highly desirable climate (unless you need leaf changing seasons) and houses are expensive to rent or own. And yet...
Often I suspect family disputes, inheritances and the like are responsible for the odd and frequently charming, collapsing homes.
Then there are the well preserved and jealously occupied homes. This one nicely complemented by a neatly parked scooter, safe behind a jagged fence:
This one nattily attired in matching Italian vases, with a properly personalized sign out front.
Whereas this next sign is nothing more than a cheap and curling plastic sign purchased en masse from local hardware stores. Very gauche, I'm sure.

If Cheyenne gives the impression she has suddenly become a critic of local architecture that would be a mistake. It was hot, she was pausing in her walk and I snapped a picture. Mind you I liked the house and privacy fence and the big old lumps of rock scattered around to keep the front of the house vehicle-free.


6 comments:

erlgie belleno said...

PassTheWheel--Preparing the Drivers of Tomorrow

PassTheWheel provides you with online practice test questions which mimic the types of questions you will be asked when writing your knowledge test (written test).
Each driver's license practice test is individually crafted and always updated to help you practice all the questions for the Official written test that you want to acquire in your region.
Just visit us at http://www.passthewheel.com/ and take an online drivers exam.

See you.!!!

Martha Tenney said...

I do like the corrugated metal shutters. I don't think you will be getting hail anytime soon, so they are a sound decision!

Don't be picking on our "leaf season" up here! You know you would love to ride the twisty roads bathed in golden light.

I can't say I don't like the absence of lawn where you are. I prefer rocks and a few well placed plants,myself, but when you have a yard you can't turn it into a gravel pit. There's already a real one of those down the street.

Trobairitz said...

The curtains outdoors are interesting. And while I can understand them wanting privacy, you would think they'd have to be taken down and washed a lot.

Sandi said...

interesting shutters.. I work non emergency dispatch for our local police, two days followed by two nights and its so difficult to sleep for the night shifts.... exhausting shift....I would rather work all days or all nights...

Anonymous said...

You never see outdoor curtains here in Buffalo but three years ago my wife and I fell in love with a little house on Petronia ave. that had curtains to make up a back room, it was really great.

On a side note I would like to ask you about letting me attach a link to your blog onto my Key West travel site?

feel free to email me at abaco26@verizon.net if you want to discuss it.

Abaco

Conchscooter said...

I dont mind at all if you link. I don';t know how you do it but that sounds fine to me. The mechanics of the internet are a mystery to me.