Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The People Of Duval

I have said the streets of Key West tend to empty out in August after family summer vacations end, but that is not to say Duval Street is completely empty.

By winter standards when most people see this famous street these crowds are pretty thin. People have time and space to check street side menus and coming attraction boards:
Lunchtime in the Bull has seating to spare...
...and there's plenty of room on the sun drenched Conch Tour Trains:

I was intrigued by this couple taking their pictures with their backs to the iconic landmark. I actually posted this picture on Facebook where GarytheTourist immediately noted the irony.

I hear people say it's "too hot to ride" a phrase that fills me with wonder. Sometimes it's too hot to ride comfortably but that is an entirely different thing.

Key West is where people ride two wheels to get around, usually rented wheels, bicycles or scooters, and they go home and resume maneuvering their tanks around town and forget the joy of freedom.

I have had a Young Person explain the concept of Coyote Ugly bars which started in New York where being rude is de rigeur because Coyote Ugly was where the schtick was for employees to be rude to patrons. It's surviving in Key West where it adds nothing much to my quality of life. Nor does it detract either.

People watching; I do it walking while some do it seated.

Water adventures on a 90 degree afternoon sound good.

Not too many people to watch just now.

Lots of time to pause and catch up. 23,000 people on a four mile island have lots to talk about.

have you noticed how people attract people? One stops to look, which doubles and two are stationary then four and pretty soon Conchscooter is at the back craning to see what's what.

This is a permanent display offering raffle tickets for a classic car or a Harley Davidson I believe in an effort to somehow reduce drunk driving. The offer is real, one of my colleagues was once the proud winner of the motorcycle.

Sun worship has its side effects. I'm not sure the picture captures the full leathery effect. He looked like a turtle without its shell, God knows what it feels like to have skin like parchment.

Studying the map, rubbing over-heated feet, a typical day's walk on Duval in August.

I went back to work. Day time is not my favorite time to be working but it does have its advantages for photography. I will do this again.

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Key West is where people ride two wheels to get around, usually rented wheels, bicycles or scooters, and they go home and resume maneuvering their tanks around town and forget the joy of freedom.

I enjoyed my first scooter ride in Key West so much I went home and bought one. Now I usally leave the car home and Zuma everywhere. I don't live in a scooter friendly town but ride it anyway.

I purchased it in a town you are familiar with, Binghamton, NY.

Scooter Vic

Trobairitz said...

I laughed at your comment about two people, then four, then more. Funny how people congregate. Those people are looking at something - I too must see what they are looking at........

BeachBum said...

Key West anytime of the year has always been my family's favorite place to be. And the thin crowds of August have never meant off-season to us, we just compare it more to a lazy Sunday.

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

I had a workmate tell me, when home from college in a touristy upstate NY town, was paid by the local Chamber of Commerce to target obvious "City People" (i.e. from NYC) and stand in front of Chamber Member's establishments looking at the menus, store windows, etc. to draw attention to them on the weekends. Nothing like shilling with a live person.

Lynn said...

sounds like a great time to be there, unless your goal is people gazing. Would still love to ride the Fatboy there, but that's a dream. "too hot to ride".... I never understood that until a couple of years ago, here in Arkansas. It was 100+ degrees. We took off for a ride one afternoon. And trust me, it WAS too hot to ride.

Conchscooter said...

Scooter Vic - living the dream in the lovely Catskills. I dream of returning.
Trobaritz & Jeffrey- people. The planet wouldn't be the same without them.
Beach bum- I will think of August as lazy Sunday month. And I am off this weekend. Lovely.
Lynn- Arizona gets a free pass. That state knows real heat unlike the keys. It's really not that insanely hot here. Humid yes, hot, no.

Anonymous said...

Binghamton, how many upstate New Yorkers are on here.

I loved the last picture for the location. There is the ice cream stand we would always finish our nightly walks at. My wife would get a water and I would get a large chocolate peanut butter soft serve and then it was back to the Westwinds.

Abaco

Anonymous said...

We arrived last Wed in KW and were walking Duval when I spotted you on your motorcycle, but it was too late, you had passed. As we continued to walk you passed again. I assumed you were on a lunch run. I would have liked to tell you in person how much I enjoy your blog and the relationship with Cheyene.

Dave from Baltimore

Conchscooter said...

Silly Bugger. You should have thrown yourself under my wheel. I'd have stopped.

Anonymous said...

I didn't want to to be that idiot that screamed at you and caused you to have an accident just to say hi!