Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Winding The Year Down

The year ending is an arbitrary thing to a logical thinker like me. I gave up thinking much about New Year after the century changed in 1999 (I too think it changed in 2000/01 but let's leave that aside as a hopelessly minority position, okay?). So I spent much of my life wondering about the change of year, change of millennium thing. When I was a kid we were told this or that innovation would happen "by the turn of the century." The 1st of January 2000 came and went and all those jet propelled hover cars and commuting to the moon and all that never materialized. Besides, dates are totally arbitrary, a human invention for convenience based solely on...no one quite knows what. Jesus' Birthday? Historians have been pointing out the Messiah was probably born in 4 Before Christ (the common era we call it today, like it or not). And not likely in December. Jews are still waiting for their Messiah and they name dates after Japanese car companies (Nissan, anyone?). But New Year's Eve is a great way to make money so our bosses push it hard.

This week is a madhouse in Key West packed with people and all of them demanding a good time to see the new year in. Nothing stops or slows down for this holiday. We have a small town with three centers of celebration slated for midnight Tuesday, all based on New York's dropping of the ball. Key West drops a pirate wench, a conch shell and a transvestite - take your pick. My wife and I have an opportunity this year I attend as I am training on day shift so I will be done working by 6pm. On the other hand I can already see the effects of over crowding, bad driving habits and lost tourists, every intersection in Key West is an adventure in self preservation this week. Amalgamating it all into one giant drunken street party seems overwhelming. We may just stay home...
I'd like to attribute my lack of enthusiasm for the street party to superior anti consumerist political principles, or a smug refusal to agree to commonly accepted calendar dates, or perhaps even simple self preservation in a world gone drunk that night. I suspect we will not be seen cheering and drinking on Duval or at Schooner Wharf for one simple reason: sheer laziness.

God I love being 56! No more excuses...

3 comments:

Trobairitz said...

True to our tradition we'll be in bed by 10ish. We're such rebels.

I've never understood the partying on New Year's Eve. Just an excuse to drink and make merry I guess.

Martha Tenney said...

You and I did go on about "arbitrary dates" this day.

WI and Key West have that drinking thing in common- Sister Cities for that.

And I agree about being 50 something. Lots of nonsense drops away and it's very freeing. I can admire young men and tell them so and they blush like I'm their mom. I like that.

Conchscooter said...

Oh yes. In bed by ten. And older women. Life is good.