Saturday, August 2, 2014

Saddle Bunch Keys

A few pictures of that empty stretch of Highway One between Big Coppitt and Sugarloaf Key.

The highway runs through water and a drive here reveals some lovely views.

A walk on the elaborately built bike path and the old Flagler Bridges does the same.

Still solid, more than a hundred years old.

The water is too thin for fishing so there was no abandoned bait for Cheyenne to vacuum up.

Twisted mangroves versus solid human achievement:

In the long run the mangroves win.

 

I took this the next driving into Key West early, the sun rising at my back.

Every day, same road, many different moods, and thus never boring.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always been interested in the Saddle Bunch keys--more pics and info in the future perhaps?

Conchscooter said...

Honestly there isn't much more. The waters you see are too thin to float many boats and too wet to walk. The islands are mangroves and thus not something you can walk on either. There was a submarine radio tracking station on an island opposite Baby's Coffee but satellites superseded that and its been closed for a couple of years. The best part is this stretch of road is it is unusually deserted owing to the lack of buildable land.
But on the other hand taking pictures here is a pleasure, I like the views so I will see what I can do and suffer horribly stopping here again soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks.
Maybe that emptiness is one of the attractions for me . . . And--probably I'm mistaken--I recall seeing a single house some distance out from US 1 in the Saddlebunch. Two stories, isolated, nothing else around it; on the Gulf side.

Conchscooter said...

Now, there's an idea.