Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A Seven Year Cycle Ends

This year I started my eighth set of seven year cycles in my life. I will be 57 this month and I have never felt better, physically or emotionally as it happens. I have come to terms with the fact that I enjoy solitude and no longer feel it necessary to pretend to enjoy crowds, which is a huge relief after decades spent trying to learn small talk. My wife has taken the time to understand my Aspergers Syndrome which helps me in turn to accept myself after a long life spent apologizing for being inept. I have a great innate capacity for pissing people off, and my standard defense that I was just being practical throws fuel on the flames of their ire. Telling them I have Aspergers produces the inevitable accusation that that is an excuse not a useful explanation. So when I say I am changing the way I post on this page I hope no one will get angry. After seven years of daily essays I need a change, as much as I love Key West.
I do not propose changing the look of this page nor its address but the daily planned essay must end. I have published 3700 of them since June 2007 and as the late Bob Leong once predicted I have run out of words. Not exactly run out as I am a wordy bugger, but the burden of composing a coherent 500 word essay daily has become tedious. I am constrained by the realities of daily living in a small town so I cannot be the the muck raking journalist I once was and I cannot keep describing Key West in the generic terms I have used so far. If you need to know what a street or place looks like enter it in the search function in the white box in the top left hand corner of the page. Unfortunately a few years ago I had an accident and wiped out a picasa picture album so a few of the older essays lost their pictures. It still irks me today, but that the loss is my own fault. Other than that, my pictures are all here, to be seen as wanted.
When I look back over my life I have seen the seven year cycles play themselves out and while there is a lot of mystical jumbo jumbo surrounding this concept the view I get from my perch is that every seven years I shift my perspective. Scientists will tell you not all your cells regenerate every seven years and the chakra merchants will offer you a bargain in life affirming nonsense if you give them money but all I'm saying is I get an itch about every seven years and - check this out! - my blog is seven years old.
I have stopped following Facebook. I tried it for a few months and found it to be exhausting. People post endless streams of stuff that they glean from other websites and that has no more relevance to their lives than a billboard on the street. I figured Facebook allied with ubiquitous pocket cameras would open up dialogue of a more personal kind. Wrong on that score! Facebook masks reality, no one posts what's really going on in their lives and most likely we wouldn't want to see it if they did, so instead we get aphorisms and mottos and platitudes about living life to the full. Posted on Facebook such exhortations ring richly of irony. I have lived my life as richly as I could, as mindfully as I am able and I don't need to be told to get out there and get on with it, thanks.
Furthermore the notion that Facebook would facilitate communication with distant relatives or friends proved elusive for me. My brother-in-law died this summer, a decent man I had come to know over the past few years, a man I had exchanged some profound thoughts with. A man who married my wild, irritating sister and made her happy, so on that score he had my respect. He died of cancer from which he had been suffering with periodic remissions and I found out He had croaked during the course of a phone conversation with my non technological 90 year old aunt. She had no idea I didn't know. So what the devil is the point of communicating by Facebook? It's just a page on the web, and no more. My relatives are as much strangers as ever frankly, and I dint blame them as it was me that chose to emigrate. But Facebook won't bridge the chasm.
I tried Instagram but soon gave that up for a bad job. Streams of pictures with no words overwhelmed me and there was the whole reciprocal liking thing. I dumped that.
I have been thinking about this for a while and I guess what I like about my page is that I don't expect anything from you the reader. I get between 25,000 and 30,000 hits a month, more in winter when Key West looks much more interesting (!) but I don't want to feel that dropping in here is an obligation And you will never be pestered with pop ups or requests to like me or any of that connectivity that everyone pretends to need. I post what I post for fun, to relieve some of the pressure created in my head by the constant stream of thoughts that clutter my over active mind. I deliberately avoid advertising and I do not wish to create a sense of reciprocity with other people online. If you enjoy good, if not never mind. If my politics offend you, political opinions I have supported and can defend from a lifetime of living mindfully in the world, too bad. I am a social democrat, a progressive, a voter who has voted for President Obama three times and have felt sorely let down by him. Not because he's black or a Muslim or a Kenyan or whatever the conspiracy theory of the day is, but because he hasn't followed through. Like all of them. As Gore Vidal said by the time they are elected they are bought already. But I remain a progressive because I hope, and when I no longer hope I shall become a political as well as a religious atheist.
I doubt there will be much political content going forward, what I am thinking about doing is posting about these places as I go, pictures with or without commentary, comments with or without pictures. Lots of random photos of Key West, the Keys, Cheyenne, my motorcycles and my riding life. In a sense I think this will be more of a diary, even if not daily and unless I feel like it I shall not feel obliged to compose and create a coherent series of thoughts and pictures. I take as my inspiration this blog by Richard Holt in England. Though perhaps I shall write more words to accompany my own pictures! All too often I come across pictures I enjoy taking but that fit no story and I would like to keep a record of them here. My riding life is a case in point; I ride daily but you don't know it here as my rides are not stories though they often make great pictures. That does not a diary make! Cheyenne will always be here as long as she lives and so far she is strong and healthy. I intend to keep her so.
The other areas of my life wherein I start to live a fresh seven year cycle are less clearly defined. We moved to a new house and a happy neighborhood this year which has been excellent. Work for my wife and I has been good, though they never seem to pay us enough to get ahead! I have steady friends at work who make my nights great fun, and unsteady friends by day when I live a confused cycle of work and sleeping hours. And now I have to learn the break habit of what seems a lifetime and let the blog flow, rather than forcing it to be directed. Wish me luck as I wish you all the best wherever you are, whichever bridge you are crossing.
To seven more years.

16 comments:

Richard M said...

Most blogs seem to come and go as the authors lose interest in the format. I've always been amazed at the steady flow of posts over the years always appearing at the same time, roughly 8 pm for me...

I like the blog as a non-Facebook alternative with just enough social aspects. I hope you keep posting pictures of your travels. especially when you get the 2-stroke Vespa up and running again.

Conchscooter said...

Oh yes. The posts will continue. I just don't want to compose a twelve picture essay for every day. I am expecting to get the Vespa at thanksgiving... We shall see.

Bryce Lee said...

LIke you I don't particpate on social media such as Facebook, Twitter and other such sites. And too have friends who observe the seven year cycle and have either discontinued or allowed their blog to expire. One friend posted local railway news more or less daily; now he posts as the news develops, and numbers the postings on a twelve month basis, no final count is required or wanted. It just helps those who see a need to keep track of the news notes.
So daily it shall not be, perhaps more weekly or as the mood strikes. Which is how it should be.
May the next seven years be as enjoyable for you as the previous seven. And give your four-legged companion a hug for me.

Garythetourist said...

Wow! To say that I'll miss looking in, daily, on your daily blog would be an understatement. I've been a steady reader for years and I have read EVERY post. What started as a welcome peek into the life of the little island that I care greatly about, slowly evolved into a peek into the life of a friend that I care greatly about. Wow. On the other hand, you started this for your own enjoyment and I can see that it is turning (or has turned) into an obligation. Obligations are a buzz kill. I understand, I don't blame you and I'm excited for your next 7 years. See ya soon my friend.

Conchscooter said...

Soon indeed. I will keep posting, just not in the same format. I'm not easy to shut up.

Anonymous said...

The only constant is change and sometimes it's even good. I'll miss the daily commentaries, but then perhaps when you do decide to write it will be even more worthwhile! I will be visiting Key West 2 weeks from today, staying from 10/22 to 11/3. Perhaps we can meet for a cup of coffee. I generally have one or two cups a year and would happily share that rare event with you. I wouldn't want to post my regular email address here, but r-teele@msn.com is an older address I use when spam might ensue from it's use. I'll pay a little more attention to it over the next week or so in case you wish to reach out and arrange to meet. Otherwise I'll keep checking here daily for whatever you post be it pictures, words, both or neither! Rick Morgan

Enie Dub said...

I find your thoughts about Facebook very insightful. Thank you

Linda Rogers said...

Read your blog everyday!

Mike Ward said...

Good Luck on the next part of your journey, I look forward to the new evolution of your blog..

John S said...

Congratulations and best of luck on your next 7 years. I know this suggestion may be counter to what you feel but an edited compilation of seven years of blogs would make a fascinating book and read for someone not familiar with your blog. Sell it on Amazon and market it to folks enthralled with the Florida Keys lifestyle, ie., parrotheads, etc. It might just make getting ahead financially a bit easier!

Conchscooter said...

I myself am curious to see what happens. I'd like to spend more time on certain essays and plan them out a bit more which will be a lot easier than doing that while crunching the other days. I started the archives on Sundays to give me a breather which helped. But I also want to post more random pictures and not finding myself stuck telling a story every time I photograph something. Change may change again. you never know. Well, at least I never know.

Conchscooter said...

The book idea seems popular but my feelings about publishing arent that great. It seems like authors have to be marketers and that I'm not. PLus by publishing for free on the Internet we shoot oursevles in the foot as far as getting paid to write!

Sandi Foster said...

heres to the next seven years.. I so enjoy your blog

Perry Cumbie said...

I'm only 30 clicks out of 30,000, but I want to tell how much I have enjoyed every one of your posts. I certainly can understand the need for a change--that's the nature of our lives, isn't it?

I'm glad you'll continue to post, though. My day begins with my reading of your blog and then I share what's going on with Michael's life with my partner of 22 years as we walk our dog together each morning.

We spent 10 days in Key West this summer. We came with a long list of places to visit--all of them featured on your blog at one time or another. Thanks for that.

Wishing you the best as you come to know the next phase in your life!

Conchscooter said...

Very kind. My page will stay active in one form or another, not to worry. Lots of pictures I expect. I have found the Blogger App which is limited in use for my iPad works well with my Android phone for quick uploads.
I am just getting a bit busy in my real life.

Ginney Camden said...

Enjoy the beginning of your new 7 year cycle. I have enjoyed every post and look forward to whatever changes you make!