Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Vespa Restored

Gene handed over my 1979 P200 today. I took a short test ride, he tightened up a few odds and ends, gave me some sound advice about breaking in the new motor and sent us on our way home.  Scooters Originali have done me proud. Now I want Gene and Andrea to do me another one! He had a rather nice restored Lambretta in the chop. My wife now thinks Lambrettas are prettier than Vespas. 
I picked up the trailer from the storage locker where I had left it and went over to the Allentown scooter shop. The whole operation went amazingly well.  Gene basically did a frame up restoration, all new fasteners, carburetor, clutch, cables, suspension and crankshaft and piston related gubbins. Like new I hope with a halogen headlamp and new wiring as well! 
And now time to start the 1500 mile journey home to heat, sunlight and lots of commutes to get this brand new motor ready to burn up some roads. I am hoping for some touring too, ambitious of course but that's me. 

10 comments:

Richard M said...

Congratulations! Did you ride it around at least a little?

Conchscooter said...

Yes. it was smooth and pulled right up to the permitted 40mph. 600 miles at less than 40 will be a trial. great fun will be had.

karlu said...

Congratulations!

karlu

David Masse said...

Michael it looks amazing! Have a safe drive home.

Richard Holt said...

Harumble!

Conchscooter said...

Thanks. I am looking forward to getting started on knocking off the running in period. Meanwhile it's cold wet and nasty and traffic around the District of Columbia was gnarly and slow. I blogged this post in a traffic jam in Maryland...stopped for hours. I don't know how people do it. Today it's another day of mainland misery for me, 44 degrees and raining. Too much even for Cheyenne to want to walk.

Mike Ward said...

Looks good, I am sure the wait will have been worth it once you are back in the sunshine.....

Anonymous said...

That grim on your face says it all....Enjoy Scooter Vic

Trobairitz said...

Hooray, looking good.

Hopefully knowing the Vespa is safe on the trailer makes traffic a little easier to take.

Conchscooter said...

The simple two strap solution seems to work well. Plus the trailer lights work. I was followed by the highway patrol in South Carolina in the dark and I wasn't pulled over. Must work.