Saturday, September 26, 2015

Breakfast For One

Breakfast out,  decidedly not normal for one who works night shift and goes straight home to sleep in the morning...And then consider I was at two restaurants in two days, that's also unusual for me but it was an unusual week one way and another. It was an accident of scheduling that I had several days off in a row...I dropped my wife off at the doctor's for a check up and while she was being prodded and inspected I went for breakfast.
From the outside Key Plaza is a common-or-garden shopping center, acres of asphalt and neon signs and all the trimmings of mainland USA. However inside the strip mall there lurks a rather nice  cafe, called Key Plaza Creperie where they make...crepes, among other things. Their buckwheat crepes they call gallettes but either way you call them they are very good. 
I immediately received a French Press with instructions to wait for the timer to go off before pressing the handle. I duly waited the five minutes, pressed the handle and poured myself a pleasantly strong cup of black coffee. Worth the upgrade from the usual house coffee. As I usually sleep during the early morning the coffee helped me overcome my natural inclination to pass out. 
Then my breakfast sandwich arrived, steak eggs and cheese with a side order of rosemary potatoes and it was quite delicious. I read my Kindle, sipped my coffee and waited for a call from the doctor's office recalling me to duty.
It wasn't a cheap breakfast, around twenty bucks plus tip for the special coffee and the very filling sandwich but I felt it was good value for money, especially in September, low season and a quiet nicely appointed cafe for a back ground to a slow contemplative breakfast. I could have waited in the doctor's office in an uncomfortable straight back chair and a loud blaring television or I could have been here. No contest.
When they did call to tell me the wife was ready for pick-up they added she wanted a bagel to break her overnight fast. It was the work of moments to drive round the corner to Goldman's, which was my back up breakfast plan, and get a bagel with cream cheese. Delivering the bagel to my woozy wife eased my conscience a little bit even though I think I got the far better breakfast deal.

3 comments:

Steve Williams said...

Hope your wife is doing well and the wooziness has departed by now.

Breakfast alone is sometimes exactly what the doctor ordered for me. I relish times where I can sit with my thoughts without distraction or interruption. It's why I savor rides alone.

A twenty dollar breakfast -- not sure I could get one of those anywhere around here. But you're in a pricey neighborhood compared to me...

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

Cees Klumper said...

We recently discovered your great blog and read it daily - from Geneva, Switzerland! (We do also have a home on Big Pine Key so Profesionally Interested in the Keys, and we particularly like Key West as it reminds me and my wife and son of Amsterdam, our original home town). Thanks for taking the time and the great stories and photographs,

Case and Anna

Conchscooter said...

If I had a ride through Pennsylvania back roads to breakfast I'd be doing it more often...I miss those leafy green lanes.
Tomorrow's essay is about how Key West isn't staying true to itself in my opinion...though I haven't been in Geneva for twenty five years at least I'm betting the city hasn't changed as much as Key West seems about to change. Big PIne? Not so much.. Keep reading until your next visit!