Thursday, March 10, 2016

Chapman Lane, Bahama Village

A cool Spring  night, a strong east wind, the anticipation of daylight savings time a mere week away and a few minutes to yourself in the middle of the night: Chapman Lane beckons...
"In the middle of the ghetto?" a rather timorous acquaintance of mine asked, voice trembling at my near brush with death. Bahama Village to me is just another Key West neighborhood and no one has ever bothered me there any more than they have elsewhere in the city at night or by day. 
I find the architecture here resembles the African American community that still constitutes a majority of the population in "the Village." Insofar as it is coherent and solid and based largely on the historic nature of the origins of Old Town Key West. Night photography here I find rewarding because there is an absence of glare and of invasive buildings and broken up blocks of old wooden houses.
Checking the Conch cottages lined up on Chapman you find they are as they once must have been more or less. No invasive Historic Architecture Review Commission requirements for modern structures here.

One after another the houses resemble what one expects to see in Old Town:



Check it out for yourself. Just about far enough from Duval to make the obnoxious noise disappear...

3 comments:

Story Girl said...

Awesome pictures! I missed you by a few days! You have my daughter's house pictured here, she moved to Key West in January to do an internship to finish her BS degree. I spent March 3-7 with her on Chapman Lane. I love all of Key West but Bahama Village has always been a favorite! Truman Annex, Blue Heaven, the old Maskervilles, there was a bakery there once, the name escapes me, on Petronia, it was a woman's name and she had these coconut things that were wonderful. We bought my daughter a birthday cake there on one of our trips down. Wasn't there a straw market there once as well? Any way, I thought I saw you on Caroline street on Saturday March 5, but I saw Rusty, and admit I didn't know that Cheyenne had passed. I thought it wasn't you after all. I'm so sorry about Cheyenne, but am glad you found Rusty. I think he seems like a wonderful companion for you. I hope things go really well for you with the new app. I'm so happy that you have had the chance to do that! Hang in there, things that push us out of our comfort zone will make us stronger and wiser in the long run. Take care, maybe I will yet meet up with you on one of your walks about town. Or who knows, maybe I'll finally fill out that dispatch application I've printed out so many times! LOL!! Take care of yourself! (Former Shonassie/Michigan)

Conchscooter said...

Henrietta's. I haven't thought about her in a long time. Give me a call if you want to meet. My trips into town are pretty random but I am trying to train Rusty to deal with the urban environment. 305-587-1904.

Story Girl said...

Thank you Michael! I will call you the next time I get down there. Hoping to be back in a month or two, if things quiet down up here. Missing my daughter but loving that she is living her dream! I look forward to meeting you!