Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Inside The Cemetery

I wore Rusty out one day last week walking him around town running errands. Three hours of walking and he was exhausted right into the next day when I offered to take him into town he looked at me with an evil eye and laid down on his couch. Too much of a good thing is too much. Fine, I said to myself, that means I can take a stroll in the cemetery, one of my favorite things to do, so I did.
Dogs aren't permitted and I'm usually walking the dog so this was rare for me to be able to check up on a few graves. I spotted a few landmark names this trip around the cemetery, and by that I mean names that you may well find on street signs and other landmarks. Like the new City Hall mentioned yesterday on this page:
Arnold's is a big name in town. This scion was apparently involved in the fisheries: 
 This one less so:
The plot dedicated to the Cuban martyrs, those who lost their lives in the second half of the 19th century fighting for freedom from Spain:
 The history was carefully laid out, though the plot itself could do with some light maintenance:
The grandiose temple for one of the older and wealthier families, the Spottswoods, fronted by the monument ot the late Captain Outrageous, the pillar covered in beads:
Signs of a picnic which is unfortunate. Leave no trace and use the trash cans. I like sitting among the graves (not on them) as this is a peaceful spot. But leaving trash is not a good thing as its the sort of bad behavior that gets people upset and more rules get made.

 Maintenance crews clipping the grass:
 Any relation to Peacon Lane? Why not I say...
"Peacon Infants..." Brr. Those were tough days before the use of vaccines and modern medecine and kids often died young.  Adults lived as long as we do, but statistically the high number of infant deaths brought down the median age which is what you often see quoted. The Bible itself states  that thousands of years ago that the proper age to die was seventy, not 45.  

A  quick nod to the refurbished grave of local artist Mario Sanchez who said of himself: "My modest art  isn't any good but people like it, don't they?" (My own approxiamte translation of his epitaph rendered in a likeness of his own handwriting).
The cemetery was moved to the center of the island after a storm blew the original cemetery off the beach. Some of these graves have been around a while.
 Whitmarsh Lane anyone?

Higgs Beach...he was quite the cornerstone of the community, I remember him as soft spoken but he did his job with a spine of steel and total integrity.
 And there is "Freckles" and another of those fishing boats...
These graves bring tantalizing glimpses into the past. 
 People wander through, pausing and thinking...


 So is this the Carey source of the lane name near the cemetery?
 A dead end indeed.
"A very good mother and wife..."


I like the graves with photos on them, which remind me of the cemeteries I grew up with in Italy as a youngster:
I like to stop by an say hello to Cheryl whom I remember well from before her untimely death at a young age:
We're all here because we're not all there. Not a bad epitaph at all.

2 comments:

Ric Kaysen said...

I pay my respects every time I visit the island and try to make as many historical connections as I'm able.

Cuckooforcon said...

Thanks again for the photos. I remember walking around the cemetery with my 3 year old one day when I lived there between 96 and 99. Endlessly fascinating,