Saturday, September 9, 2017

Getting Close

Winds around 2 pm went above 40 mph as the National Hurricane Center predicted. I went for  a walk and I just looked around and photographed what I saw. This walk would no longer be possible this Saturday afternoon, just to be clear. Tonight they say it will land in the early hours as a category four with plenty of flooding.
Key West Police are not evacuating but police cars will no longer responding soon. We will continue to take phone calls 24 hours even though we cannot send help at the height of the storm. Our jobs kick in after the  storm to help people recover.
Fire and Rescue have already stopped responding. Monroe County is not responding at all any more. The hospitals are closed and all businesses are closed and winds are getting strong enough to make the Highway unsafe to travel even though it is not officially closed.



 Damage in Bayview Park. I imagine there's a lot more trash there by now...

Birds not of a feather huddling together.

 He didn't look happy:

 Anticipating...corny I know but I couldn't resist.
 Artistic shot of hurricane shutters.
Truman Avenue looking east.
 White Street looking south.
 Rain and a chicken. They do amazingly well:
 Closed of course:
 Leaves were down:
Even the nudie bar and liquor store are closed. The car under the eave is to ease the fears of the owner in a Category Five.
 I hope the flying debris hits the wooden planks:
 Nice plywood shutters well made:
 The weirdest shutters I have ever seen, plastic sheets clipped to the house very professionally.
One of our local subjects talking loudly to herself and refusing help lest you freak out. She's been though more storms than you've had hot dinners.
 The Spanish Lime crop may have been devastated:
They are small lychee-like citrus fruit with a leathery skin and large pit inside covered in white tart fruit. Much enjoyed in Key West:

 It was still rideable.


North Roosevelt Boulevard looking toward Stock Island from in front of the police station:

 Winds were just starting to pick as I completed my circuit around 1 pm
 Kristi was glad to see me! I think.
I was glad to get back into the building as the  wind and rain increased exponentially.

5 comments:

Chiller tek said...

Stay safe mate and all the best, been watching on TV from Australia and it looks very nasty. See you on the other side.

Conchscooter said...

Wish I was in Australia about now.

Steve Williams said...

The news says the storm has turned north in your direction. Are you staying at the station for the duration?

Conchscooter said...

Yes. The storm is immense and powerful. It is already causing problems in Key West and has barely started crossing from Cuba.Trees are down power lines are falling power is out and the wind and rain are honking all the time and louder and louder as the night wears on.

Ginney Camden said...

I hope you are safe.