Monday, August 17, 2026

The Path To Madness

We left the campground Sunday afternoon to test the state of the coolant and water pump.  We took a 55 mile drive round trip to San Bernardino, a lakeside resort town about half an hour away and I should say we were fully aware this weekend was a national holiday celebrating the day of the assumption, after which the national capital, Asunción, is named.
Our Lady of the Assumption is an important Catholic holiday, the focal point of summer vacation time in Italy, so I was not unaware of the implications for traffic, and I was not disappointed. 
The side streets leading to the lake were clogged with double parked cars and access for a 21 foot van was not advisable even for someone who doesn’t mind squeezing the tank through narrow spaces. They were having a successful holiday on the shores of the lake obviously. 
It turns out this lake is a national embarrassment as it is so polluted humans aren’t allowed to swim in it. Decades ago the Spanish heartthrob Julio Iglesias wrote a song about, of all things, meeting a woman on the shores of the lake and its romantic blue waters, but today it is reported to be a brown muddy mess filled with algae fed by agricultural run off and industrial and household pollution. They cut the forests and fertilized the farms that replaced the trees and the lake is a mess.
So we drove out and back to see if the cooling system still leaks. I have had to add some fluid to the radiator expansion tank but I don’t know if that is part of refilling the system after it got completely drained. That was me hoping for the best (the leak is still there. Hah!).
Team Lost was on form yesterday as we missed three turns on our 55 mile drive, chatting, glad to be in the road, enjoying the views, distractions abound and we lost the little blue line on the map a few times. But we did find some chipas, the local tapioca baked delicacy. 
The vendors sit roadside and charge 75 cents for the bagel sized baked rings. Ours were seasoned with dill seeds and were rather good, spongy inside crisp shells.
The funny little treat was the reward for the drive I suppose and for the fact that we still have a coolant leak.  Grrr.
We took Astrid and Chris out for pizza to the place we were at last time and that was new to them. 
I had a crazy pizza to keep pace with my wife who ordered a pear and blue cheese pie. I got hot dog and fries I kid you not. It wasn’t bad if you like a side of starch with your  pizza.
I grant you our mechanical delays are inducing a touch of madness in our heads but we had the cure. Well not really but it helped wash the extraordinary pizza down.
Mark the Englishman who lives at the campground had a sensible calzone…
And Max, Astrid and Chris’s 11 year old boy made the sound choice and got the margarita, a normal pie with basil and tomato sauce. But madness is creeping into our static lives.
And so we ended Paraguay’s national holiday on a slightly down note but sooner or later this goddamned leak has to be resolved. Then the damned expensive inverter. Then we shall be free. Or mad. Fries on your pizza?

No comments: