Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cheyenne Update

Cheyenne and I have fallen into our regular schedule once again. I was a bit worried that she might not be not quite so happy to see me after twenty two days away. I needn't have worried.



We have been out and about quite regularly Cheyenne and I, and she has taken a whole new interest in her old walks. I think she really does get bored after a while even though I try to vary her trails as much as possible. I've brought her in to town as well and I snagged this picture on the fly of her not bothering the local chicken population:



She is the most perfectly behaved dog. Thunderstorms don't bother her and when my wife is away as she has been this summer, I leave Cheyenne alone at home and she is entirely content all night while I am away at work.



One likes to think of a friendly old yellow Lab as the ideal chick magnet. No such luck in Key West where Cheyenne is a total gay man magnet. Meet Benjamin and friends who loved my dog and she liked them. Not surprising really (sniff) they way they lavished their attentions on her. "To bad you aren't bi," a gay friend of mine remarked when I told him of the encounter. I guess so.



August is not a great time of year for walking the streets of Key West in a thick fur coat. Also I have noticed the pavement is getting warm for her paws and she hugs the shade or keeps moving nervously around. She knows her own mind does my girl and a few times when I have offered to let her out of the car she stays put and looks at me like I'm stupid. I try to keep her walks to early morning and evening but in any event she sets the pace, which frequently involves taking a break.



I missed her horribly while I was away and she's another reason I'm glad I'm back. Orin of Old Skool Scootin' describes dog pictures as gratuitous so I'm closing with another kind of picture.



A gratuitous shot of a banana tree.
At least I'm pretty sure it's a banana tree but I'm no botanist.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

bobskoot said...

Mr Conchscooter:

Cheyenne's not the only one who misses you. It's been over a year since and I would be thrilled to see you again too

and that's not meant in a Bi way

luv,
bob
Riding the Wet Coast

Conchscooter said...

Oh come on. I know you posted that picture on your blog of you in your underwear next to that Mountie to make jealous.

Seaturtle said...

I was reading what you'd written about Port Pines Heights in Big Pine. Are owners permitted to enclose those storage areas beneath the homes? Tried to figure it out by reading Monroe County "stuff"--but it got sooo confusing. My family wants to buy a home there (on Hibiscus), but our understanding is the we couldn't enclose it or use it as a downstairs bedroom or den. Is this correct? Thanks for any insight into Big Pine real estate rules!

Suwannee Refugee said...

I've always found that my dog doesn't care how long I've been way. He's just glad to see me!

Conchscooter said...

Monroe County does not allow downstairs spaces to be used to live in. No toilets, kitchens or living areas. walls must have flow through to allow floodwaters in and out.
some downstairs enclosures may be legal but i'd want to see papers on that.
it is a bone of contention with the feds who offer flood insurance providing their rules are followed.
talk to a pro before buying whatever you do. dont rely on me i just live here.

Conchscooter said...

cheyenne is almost as glad to see me as i am her. i hate seeing dogs all excited to see people and then getting ignored by those people.