Thursday, August 11, 2011

No Name Woodlands

No Name Key under hazy skies, hot sun and no one around.


I never know when I take Cheyenne for a walk if my choice of location will suit my fussy dog. She let's me know too, as she'll stop, look hard at me and turn around pointing the way we've come when she has had enough. If I keep walking she'll just stop and stare at me. She never barks, limiting herself to very expressive body language.


It turns out she was ready to re-visit No Name Key, and while I farted around with the camera seeking the correct exposure she wandered off into the woods. This power pole is one of two planted on No Name by Keys Energy to test the holes and see how power poles sit on the electricity-free island. Like there is some weird substratum of soil that attacks cement around here or something. A group of residents has been struggling to get commercial electricity while another group has been fighting to keep No Name as it is, dependent on solar panels and noisy generators. And the experimental poles sit where they were planted waiting for a decision one way or the other. Welcome to the Keys.


It seems a walk on No Name suited princess this day because she soon reappeared and peered out from the trail head, waiting for me to get a move on and join her. We plunged into the wilderness together.


Cheyenne was having an excellent time so I got to to play with the camera a little more. Lacking flowers I went for bark. Not the dog kind.


Some of the trees looked like badly roasted joints of meat. I have no idea who or what set fire to them but pine trees on Big Pine and No Name have been devastated by blight so there are lots of tinder dry stark trunks pointing skywards. Perhaps they attract lightning.


If they burned that hard you'd think the whole island would have burned.


Happily pine trees are coming back. Here we see the main components of wooded areas in the Keys, scrubby palms, thatch or silver mostly, and stubby pine trees. Throw in some nasty scratchy manchineel (poison wood) and some red mangroves and that is the bulk of the growth.


Fungus, looking good. Cheyenne was still busy and I had nothing to read with me so I cast the camera around and pointed it at things.


My tatty fuchsia Crocs will soon be replaced by the brand spanking new ones Amanda sent me from the British Virgins.


This is wet season so amphibious footwear is important. I don't just own pink Crocs, I use them.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: