Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hawk Missile Base

In the Cuban missile crisis this was the center of defense plans for the Florida Keys.


Then towers carried radar scanners to detect Cuban aircraft and the missiles were on mobile launchers parked in bays protected by berms of earth that still exist. They had to store ammunition somewhere, so where better than a human made cave?


I walk Cheyenne with a plastic bag in my pocket but it seems some people need to be reminded. One of the paradoxes of owning a dog is that you are first in line to step in other dogs' shit as your dog likes to follow along and sniff their passing. Which makes me rather fanatical about picking up.


The lines of trespass are happily not too clearly drawn around here. As far as I can tell the city doesn't want visitors to Little Hamaca getting tangled up in empty buildings which is a requirement easy enough to oblige.


I noticed some creosote glistening in the sun on a fallen pole. I wonder if they still use such antiquated stuff?


From the top of the berm I could see the apartment complexes that line the east end of South Roosevelt Boulevard.


And overhead an F-something practicing taking off and landing from aircraft carriers or whatever it is they do.


And a passenger airliner landing at the Key West 'International' Airport.


Little Hamaca is a park squeezed into New Town, said to be the last hump of slightly raised dirt above the mangroves around here and thus home to plants that live in dirt and not, like the mangroves, in salt water. I find it can be a surprisingly serene spot.


Cheyenne needed shade.


If it was trespassing it was not done with any ill intent.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: