Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cheyenne After Two Years

Its been almost two years since I picked Cheyenne up from the Key West SPCA. She has turned out to be one of the best dogs I've known. She is smart and quick witted, and I mean smart enough to understand what I want and to know its not worth disobeying me. She comes when I call her, she never steals food and she waits patiently when I am forced to leave her at home. In return she gets the run of the house, several walks a day as interesting as I can make them, and all the car trips she can stand. Its turned into a great relationship.
She was dumped because she was "too old" at 81/2, after a life of loyalty I am sure to the family that bred her, chained her, and kept her out of the kitchen (a prohibition we worked to overcome. Cooking with an eager Labrador underfoot is the only way to go). I am amazed by people who will happily overlook the wonderful dogs to be found dumped at the pound by people who are not worthy to own a dog, and who instead run off to buy some pedigree'd status symbol. For $50, Cheyenne was the bargain of a lifetime. The other shithead family's loss is my gain. Long may she last.

3 comments:

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Conch:

Can it be two years already?

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep
Twisted Roads

Anonymous said...

Cheyenne is one lucky pup !

Conchscooter said...

I was hugging her this afternoon thinking how lucky I am.