Sunday, November 13, 2011

Holiday Cheer

Call me naïve but I was a little taken aback to see Christmas for sale even before Thanksgiving was in the bag.


In the years of plenty the need to keep on selling in these manufactured holidays seemed obscene to me, but now that we have our economic backs to the wall it smacks of desperation. Snow days? In Miami? Chain stores' inventory sometimes manages to look ludicrous without trying.


Sometimes they want us to spend $6 to make our best friends look ludicrous. My wife really thought for a minute that I wanted to stick this piece of Chinese crap on my dog's head.


Champagne appears this time of year because bubbly wine is another cliché for the holidays. Done right it's delicious any time of the year, not that the advertisers care.


We're going North for a meaningful family gathering. I want to spend the first in this series of holidays doing what the holiday was first created for, and that wasn't shopping for nonsense. Buying stuff from local artisans to express a true sentiment is one thing, keeping Chinese oligarchs in business seems crazy to me.


I will miss t-shirt weather in November but the family will make it worth it. I am a citizen first and a consumer a long way second and the sooner we all realize the difference the sooner we will have holidays truly full of joy and hope for the future for all our family members and let Made In America be the next holiday wish.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: