Friday, December 16, 2011

Things I See


I'm not sure whether I should be annoyed that someone could be so stupid as to stick empty alcohol bottles in trees. Or, working on the assumption that they had just consumed the contents, should I be astonished by their agility at tree climbing while smashed out of their minds?


I am as useless at identifying butterflies as I am at everything else that grows, flies or crawls.


However I do know a pretty thing when I see one.


Even when my powers of observation are dulled by a gigantic head cold I know what I like and this brown beauty was very cooperative in striking a pose. Always on a rock for some reason.


The osprey nest at the top of the Sugarloaf Key Bat Tower seems to be getting bigger.


I rather think the old tower will be a jumble of wood soon enough, lost to indifference and the ravages of time.


Talking of indifference I caught a half picture of a man propelling himself down the street as though he thought he were on the water standing on a paddle board. Call me strait laced but as a way to get around it leaves me completely indifferent.


There just is no end to the permutations that people will employ to get exercise and get around. Perhaps after cheap oil runs it's course we will find this form of locomotion to be far less eccentric than appears to be the case nowadays. I just don't think it would work too well for me under any conceivable circumstances.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

David B. said...

If you decide to start identifying butterflies, this site is incredible:

http://www.discoverlife.org/20/q?guide=Butterflies

I believe you have a Mangrove Buckeye there.

Conchscooter said...

You boggle my mind. This one was astonishingly cooperative and drifted rather than flew. So I snagged a picture...