Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Bicycle Town


I was moved to take a few more pictures of bicycles around Key West when I caught this busy couple studying a map quite determined to get it right this time and find their destination without further ado.


Usually I offer to help and frequently get rebuffed but this pair acted as though map reading was pretty important to them so I limited myself to a picture. This picture below, taken on Simonton Street reflects typical hard core winter cycling in Key West. Note the long sleeved top, heavy duty cap and expensive sandals.


People who know this stuff suggest one third of the city's population of 23,000 doesn't own a car. Just because one is carless doesn't mean one can't behave badly and text while driving:


Bear in mind cyclists must obey traffic rules, like one way streets and stop signs and while they may ride on sidewalks they may not ride two abreast. Plus women are required by custom if not by law to cycle one bike length behind their men.


Why? I haven't a clue but they all do it. Personally I like following a woman on a bike because I like the female form and feel no need to worry about the size of my weenie if a woman is cycling in front of me. Other men are less self assured and none of them ever ride in pink Crocs. Go figure.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

sandra said...

Weenie is such a funny word - thanks for giving me a good laugh!

Gene S Morgan said...

I just discovered your blog had returned to Key West Diary. I was glad to see that. I am on dial-up and I found that the photos on the other site were very slow to display and due to that I did not visit very often. Thanks for comming back.

KWBound said...

"no need to worry about the size of my weenie"? CS, you didn't write that. Really? That was very candid of you! It made me laugh as well, Sandra.

Conchscooter said...

We live in a world that still has a lot of hangups. Riding behind a woman is one such for many men apparently, and weenie size is another. I blame advertising and television. And that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

Len said...

My taking the lead when my wife and I ride in Key West has nothing to do with the size of my weenie. If I let her lead we will start the ride on our way to breakfast and end up eating lunch by the time we get to our destination.

She keeps lobbying for a bicycle built for two and that may just be the compromise we are looking for.

Conchscooter said...

Nah, it's a law of the universe. Everything men do when it comes to machines has to do with the size of their weenies, logic notwithstanding.