Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ironies And Amusements



I couldn't help myself, when I saw the big Tarot-like sun face peering round the tree and the ridiculous sign hanging off the trunk.


Cheyenne had had enough of summer mugginess in winter. She stopped for a while and when she stops I pull out the newspaper...


...or the camera and watch my fellow humans honk their way past me.


A scooter is a fine way to get around town, with minuscule fuel consumption and ease of use, it makes more sense than riding the bus. Seen here from the bus stop at Whitehead and Truman:


This sticker struck a nerve. Just what?!


It will take more than bumper stickers to end the federal reserve banking system . However more people are talking about killing the privately owned central bank so Ron Paul could feel ,Ike he is making some headway at least.


This house is on Amelia Street, I think, and it has been looking rather abandoned and down at heel for some time, but now it appears to be on the mend:


I think the asking price on this Zenn car (Zero Emissions, No Noise) was north of five grand.


Now here is a mystery, a dog turd on a plant. How did the dog balance it on the leaf like this, and why? And where was the owner, foul human, with no plastic bags to hand?


"C.E.S." old timers will recall the old City Electric System, the publicly owned utility that became a Lower Keys operation over time and changed it's name to Keys Energy System.


I never knew the health department had a car dedicated to helping people get the message about quitting tobacco but here it is; I saw it at the Gato Building on Simonton.


My mind was in the gutter on Catherine when I spotted this sculpted bowl of, was it fruit or nuts?


And this magnificent sponge was hanging as a decoration in front of the House next to the Tomasita seafood shack...


...whose hand written sign comes in a style eminently reminiscent of similar signs I've seen all over the Caribbean.


It gets the job done with no frills.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Brady Steffl said...

The blob of shit on poised on that leaf made me think of a story of culture shock. Forgive me for the lack of details on the cultures, but it was somewhere else baffled by americans picking up dog crap and walking around with it. They saw Jodi Foster doing it (I think...) and were like, whoa, but she is famous!

The answer was that everyone is supposed to move the dung. Everyone. Is that poo still there? I wonder how long it'll stay there before disappearing. You should start a pool.

Brady
Behind Bars

Conchscooter said...

When my wife and I went sailing in Mexico we'd land with two giant dogs on the beach and the locals would follow our plastic bag progress with total fascination until we started to feel like the pied pipers of dog shit. Eventually we stopped doing it as picking up seemed like an extension of cultural imperialism... especially in places where discreet dog turds often seemed like the least bad public detritus.

l said...

Here's an amusement for you...why are there two different prices for CONCh on the sign at Tomasita Seafood?

Conchscooter said...

A great question and no clue do I have! Bahamian versus Honduran? Queen versus King? Absent minded sign writing? Local versus visitor? Probably not. Raw Conch devoured in a guest room is not a popular activity.