Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mile Zero

I saw a gaggle of scooter renters gathered behind the famous mile marker.





In my grumpier moods I loathe how people treat the streets of Key West as a playground, where riding a scooter is a Disney ride, but really who can blame them? It's their vacation.




They do love the sign don't they? Everyone wants a picture of mile zero in their vacation folder.



Oh and as part of the whole experience here comes the horse.





Actually I saw the mounted patrol pull over a group of tourists in an electric car driving badly, Disney style on the streets of our fair city. Reality bites sometimes, even in Paradise.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

I can hear their lawyer, "so you were driving recklessly, and was pulled over by a horse?"

Bryce said...

Assume the constable on the horse
is one of your own. So have you ever talked to the horse first and not the constable? Bt radio?

I often wonder if police service employees of a relatively small municipality such as Key West ever know one of their own kind if they meet on the street, as say the horse and rider in this case?

Conchscooter said...

The mounted patrol is mostly community relations and a presence on the street. But they do real police work too. It's amazing how quickly a horse can calm down two people arguing. I've dispatched Mounted 79 to calls from time to time. You can hear the hooves clipping over the radio.