Thursday, June 28, 2012

Yay Obamacare!

I grew up with single payer healthcare and for all it's short comings I prefer the individual freedom from fear that single payer offers. That single payer is the most cost effective system to deliver health care to the people is just the cherry. But the health care patch work system the President has been pushing is at least something. 30 million Americans gain access to insurance, insurance companies get a pool of healthy people to cover to spread costs, the capitalist way, and people like my wife with pre-existing conditions don't have to live in fear of refusal.

For the reactionary fuckwits who call it Obamacare derisively and take a "principled" stand against mandatory insurance, like auto insurance for instance, I say please do opt out and take your bankruptcy on the chin when you need medical help. I'm opting in.

I've been pretty down on the hope and change offered by President Obama, but this is one small victory for we the 99 percent. How odd it feels.

7 comments:

RichardM said...

+1

I agree that it isn't perfect but it is at least a step in the right direction. Now tort reform....

Conchscooter said...

Now we have to get Alaska into the Social Security system...about as easy as reforming tort laws.

bobskoot said...

Mr Conchscooter:

I'm happy for both of you

bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube

Anonymous said...

This is a huge victory for the millions of Americans who couldn't get affordable insurance.
No more refusal
No more policy limits
Children covered until they're 26 on parents policies.

It's a decent and humane policy that addresses a problem that has been festering for years.

Anonymous said...

This is a big day for America. I am very proud of our President.

Robert Wilson said...

One thing that really has not been talked about as well (yet) is job creation. Insurance companies are more than just agents. There are customer service associates, underwriters, service techs and more. How many more nurses, lab techs and other health care workers will be needed? The costs for treating someone without insurance will be spread out now and not just born by the hospital. Over all, it's a win-win for everyone.

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

As a self-employed person, I am glad on the whole for this being upheld.

I hope this does not become a distraction for this election away from other issues that should be addressed.