Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Sailing Read

This is that time of year when vacations happen, even to me, and I find myself away from Key West, traveling or better, I hope, wandering. Thus it is, because this blog is a series of apparently endless photos of what I see around me, the pictures at the moment are concerned with places other than the Florida Keys. Which makes a pleasant change for me, and I hope for you. If not, take heart, when you are at home under a cover of snow the pictures here will be of the Keys regularly once more, and a lot sooner than that as my vacation time runneth out.


In the meantime permit me to draw your attention to an essay, filled with photos, in a blog of which I am rather fond, which is unfortunately too rarely updated to qualify as "regular." I find that great a pity but this story of unbelievable boating derring-do is a nice reminder for me that soon I hope my own skiff will be back in the water running properly this year as against last year's horrible engine failures. Christopher Shepherd is a novice sailor of immense enthusiasm whose unflappable optimism gave me the creeps as I read his astonishing tale of unlikely and perfect boat deliveries. To imagine navigating a shallow water bay by flashlight on the first day of boat ownership after 12 solid hours out on the water...to park a boat up a Big Pine canal cut off by shallows in the sure and full expectation of future sailing adventures, take the breath away of an old sailing fart like myself. Stories of sailing into refrigerators (as my wife and I called the square wind waves that kicked our boat's ass for hundreds of miles in Central America) and bouncing up Hawk Channel remind me why I no longer am crazy about sailing. Too much motoring in poor conditions put me off sailing after years of determined struggle. I hope you enjoy this improbable tale as much as I did:

http://belgo.com/delivering-therapy.html

2 comments:

Christopher Shepherd said...

It is a privilege to be mentioned here. The sailboat's gone out a few more times since then (including in today's 13-15mph SE winds). Sometimes it's disastrous, sometimes it's poetry in motion, but overall we're working to get it right. I have to admit, we go powerboating much, much more often, and it is a lot easier. I'll certainly try to blog more often. Thanks again!

Conchscooter said...

Not at all. The story is a real live adventure. Great fun.