Monday, October 1, 2012

Pedaling Home

I saw this guy on Stock Island last week. He was pedaling smoothly and silently, such that I only noticed him at the last minute as I sensed rather than heard his imminent presence, clearly a cyclist with a sense of the need for chain oil. Most amateur cyclists around Key West seem to prefer the protesting squeaking cycle chains produced by rusty links protesting noisily every stroke of the equally lubrication-free pedals. I snatched the picture at the last possible minute and indeed I never did see his features, he was more a faceless fleeting suggestion than an actual person, as he sped efficiently by.

As I read about Fall fast approaching Up North, with suggestions for leaf viewing and the first Minnesota snow flurries and sudden plunging midwest temperatures in October, my mind went back to the brief encounter with this marginally equipped resident. I saw him later pedaling alongside Highway One, possibly a resident of distant Big Coppitt five miles away or perhaps the owner of a nearby dinghy tucked away in the mangroves lining Boca Chica Bay with a boat that he calls home anchored between Stock Island and the Naval Air Station. Whatever his living situation his bicycle with its ample baskets and his helpful coffee carrying arrangement will serve him well through the winter. Be the weather ever so cool a bicycle works year round in Key West, the frost free zone at twenty four degrees north latitude.

 

2 comments:

RichardM said...

Even here at 64.8378 N latitude, bicycles are a popular year around option. Definitely more reliable than some cars...

Singing to Jeffrey's Tune said...

How are the drivers in relation to bicyclists? I have been almost clipped many times while riding my bike, however, I think we have sooo many cars, especially in season. I thought you might have some insight into the accidents being on the police dispatch.