Saturday, April 27, 2013

Cheyenne And Key Deer

My dog enjoying a early morning walk at Ramrod Pool. The heat is getting to Cheyenne these days and she doesn't much like to get out of the house after the sun gets high in the sky. She lounges around on the porch and wanders in and out through her dog door to alternatively cool off and sunbathe as the mood takes her, but walking is reserved for the earliest of early mornings when it is relatively cool.

One morning we came across a couple of Key deer on Big Pine behind the post office. This happens a lot as the deer population seem to be doing quite well. Well enough that we've seen a family of them on Ramrod Key where they aren't supposed to live but the population seems to be spreading. Anyway it happened on this particular morning on Big Pine and I had my camera ready to record the encounter.

Cheyenne was stumping down the street and a deer popped out of the bushes. It kept a wary eye on my dog, but got no reaction.

Cheyenne has little interest in meeting other dogs and no interest in deer or chickens, though she is curious about cows when she meets them on the mainland. She walked on by, much to the deer's irritation which for some reason actually started to follow Cheyenne until my presence put her off.

Cheyenne likes to eat grass and I have seen her grazing quite companionably alongside Key deer.

A very easy going dog.

 

4 comments:

sandi said...

she is lovely

Kimberly Bohon said...

Such a cute dog! I want to visit and see the Key Deer.

Anonymous said...

She is a beauty and your love for her more than obvious. Glad you found her and gave her a good home. Love all your pictures and writing. I've been reading your blog for over a year now and my desire to visit the keys keeps growing.

wannabe conch

Amy W said...

Hi
My name is Amy and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about the Florida Keys to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at amy(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Amy