Monday, April 22, 2013

Key West Porches

Today is Earth Day, which for me is similar to Ride To Work Day. I try to live mindfully, not always successfully, but I am conscious of the reduce, reuse and recycle mantra but at the same time, as obsessive as I am, I try not to get obnoxious with myself or others. Ride to Work day? I ride my motorcycle to work pretty much every day anyway; why wouldn't I? I love to ride and the weather here is perfect, though sometimes people complain about it being too hot or too windy or too uncertain to be on a motorbike... I usually drive when I feel unwell or unfocused and I don't need a media reminder to "celebrate" a made up day to encourage me to get out on my motorcycle.

So instead of celebrating my empty garbage can and overflowing recycling bins I thought this might be the day to celebrate a really nice walk Cheyenne and I took yesterday. It was rather silly but I wanted to drive to Key West to enjoy the city at a time when not too many people were crowding it, and so it was. Early Sunday morning, me and my dog and hardly anyone to be seen. It was lovely, warm but not too humid, the city was washed clean by a fearsome summer thunderstorm that swept the Keys Saturday night with lots of wind and rain. On a whim I decided to photograph empty porches and this, a photo essay is what I found between Olivia and United Streets, walking at random.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

An old eyebrow home with an old tin roof and fence decorated as usual with a cheap nasty and pointless plastic sign advising you to beware, keep out, the dog etc...

Key West is a city designed for sitting on the porch and doing whatever you want to you do. And you can do it year round. Nice eh?

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I sit in my orange metal chair on my backyard deck and plan my next trip to Key West. No front porch for me but my deck gives me the privacy I crave.

Enie Dub said...

That's some mix of porches!

Martha Tenney said...

This post made me smile. I love your theme.

Is that a hockey stick???

Conchscooter said...

Looks like a stick and two orange balls but when I was a kid and an unwilling participant hockey sticks had a pronounced U. I guess everything changes over time. Sniff.